Pearl Drill

Well, it's partly the drill, and partly the skill of the operator. Perhaps the synthetic material or tridacna shell that was so hard to drill is no longer being used. (One would hope, anyway.)

Still there can be some challenges, based on the shape of the pearl.

Reporting in soon on the pearl dust issue~had to take time out for out of town guests.

You do need to factor in the various cups and the bit costs. The cups seem to add a fair bit to the cost overall. Jacques .. did it come with any cups or did you have to buy them separately ? Bits are pricey as well. Of course I understand that this is a proper piece of equipment so it's not going to be poor quality metal - just that it's good for people to consider 'the whole package' price. Do you actually need to buy all the various cup sizes or can you make do with just 3 or 4 ...

LOL Jersey Pearl - I'm with you - I never think of these things when the important dates roll around...

My drill came with metal and plastic cups and is portable.
There were a lot of really hard nuclei around early last year but this year's undrilleds seem to have normal nuclei...so the protests may have worked.
If you get one of those the trick is to drill in one second bursts.
Drills also great for redrilling when you get a loose nuke.

I end up using two sizes for the cups, mostly - I can find out which ones exactly, they have several sizes - it was on the recommendation from Takano, the gentleman who works there (and speaks very good English!) , when I told him what size range I mainly worked with.

Also, I got the rubber lined cups - a bit more expensive, but they definitely grip the pearl better.

Overall though, the price for their drill bits and the rubber cups seems fair, I find. It's the drill that costs money.

Yes, for the drilling - those electric motors slow down if you drill full pressure for too long - so, as Wendy says, I also find it better to pull the pressure off, let the motor whirl back up to full speed again, and drill another second or so burst.

You can feel the different stages within the pearl as you drill. The conchiolin/nucleus layer, yes, but also, in semi-baroque, or Tahitian drops especially, the different layers of concentric nacre deposition that you drill through, as you get to the nucleus.

Mine came with nylon and brass collets. It also included a dozen 1mm bits and a sharpener, but I bought several .7mm and use them most of the time.

You can feel the different stages within the pearl as you drill. The conchiolin/nucleus layer, yes, but also, in semi-baroque, or Tahitian drops especially, the different layers of concentric nacre deposition that you drill through, as you get to the nucleus.

So well put, Jacques! The drill itself is stationary, with the pearl clamped into the cups on the moving platform.

Thank you Pattye, I didn't know the pearl moved. I assumed it was the drill bit, as for a wood drill, I'm glad you filled us in!

Thanks for the vid, Wendy, and I love my pearls!

Last edited:
Dangers of Pearl Dust & Other Safety Issues

Dangers of Pearl Dust & Other Safety Issues

So~after reading a number of forums and various pieces of info on the web, it seems pearl dust is not really any more dangerous than breathing airborne particles of sawdust and tiny metal shavings, rock, mother of pearl and shell, etc., which can be ingested during sanding, polishing, drilling. All of these, with the tinier pieces being the most difficult for the lungs to expel, are UNDESIRABLE. Some peeps can have an allergic reaction to breathing pearl dust. A proper mask is useful. Drilling outdoors when possible is good too.

Most of us don't have any kind of ventilation/vacuum system in our studios, but we aren't drilling pearls all day, day after day. It's up to us to be responsible for our own safety, beyond drilling pearls.

Has easy access to all the cool power tools made us cavalier about the safety issues?

Last edited:
I think perhaps the contrary Pattye - we are (at least over here) becoming totally risk averse to the point of sitting at home surrounded by cushions in case ..well just in case anything at all happens.
It's mostly the fault of insurance companies, who want our premiums but don't want the associated risk. Although the courts are often blamed at least here they do still expect a fairly rigorous standard.

Nevermind LOL (self edit)

Back