Pearl Dilemma

dtkorab

I recently purchased a 19.5" strand of "Mikimoto" pearls, grade AA, 6mm - 6.5mm. The previous owner purchased them 07/26/1983 in Hong Kong for $14,400.00. They were recently appraised at $1750.00 (Australian dollars). The problem is that, after arrival, it became known that the clasp had been replaced because the original had broken. The new clasp has a small pearl, but no hallmark -- unusual style. On this forum I have read: "remember you're only buying the clasp. Without that, even Miki won't certify the strand. They can't tell their pearls from anyone else's." So, I am in great need of obtaining your thoughts, in that I have a very limited time to return them. I purchased them for $775 (Australian dollars). The pearls are beautiful but I really wanted a Mikimoto strand/clasp. Tried, but can't seem to attach photos.

I would say, if you bought the strand as a Mikimoto and it didn't come with the original Mikimoto clasp then I would return the item. You paid a premium for for the brand but without the clasp and paperwork you can't be 100% sure it is actually a Mikimoto.

It sounds like the seller didn't tell you the clasp had been replaced. If that's the case, I'd return it on principal. If you do have documentation with it and want to keep the necklace, I'd have an expert look at it to make sure that someone couldn't have switched out the strands... buying two nearly identical strands and swapping the paperwork probably wouldn't be too difficult, leaving the seller with the actual Miki strand... easily re-appraised and re-sold (or the same scam done over). You could also have another appraisal done and if the new one is lower than the purchase price, you could ask for a partial refund.

Back