Oyster pearl?

cherrycoin

Could this be a pearl? Found it in the weirdest way. Almost ate the little thing.
Diameter about 5,5 mm. Found inside an oyster. Gritty towards teeth. 20150622_223458.jpg

Question number 2: Lets say I might have cooked this oyster in the oven. And the perhaps just 2 minutes in microwave while reheating it. Could this be a bad thing?

Hope picture is good enough. Let me know if you need more detailed photo.

Try again on a white paper towel. The background seems more in focus than the pearl. White will help show the color. It looks pretty good. I hope your teeth are all intact! :)

Just the slightly more greyish spots that are evenly distributed around the surface. Like dots.
It has a slight egg-shape but is mostly round.

Could this be something else than a pearl? Can oysters produce anything else? I mean I opened the fresh oyster myself.
I havent weighed it yet but how much can such a thing be worth. More curious since I'll most likely keep it for the sake of the story.

Dont know if this thread died. But can anyone tell me how rare it is to find a pearl in an oyster from what i think comes from swedish waters? I mean it must be a naturall pearl right?

Dont know if this thread died. But can anyone tell me how rare it is to find a pearl in an oyster from what i think comes from swedish waters? I mean it must be a naturall pearl right?

Pearls from edible oysters are not uncommon. The geographical location of origin does not necessarily affect their instance.

Oysters are from order ostreoida and as such, not highly nacreous. This pearl presents with a high percentage of visible calcite, which is the bane factor for luster. Quality pearls present with almost exclusively terraced aragonite at the surface and deep into the pearl itself.

It's not clear whether this was harvested from the wild or from a farm. The greatest portion of marketed oysters around the world come from farms, hence an aquacultural event, where human intervention cannot be disproved.

As far as oyster pearls go however, this is a nice specimen. It's round and somewhat lustrous. It may have some monetary value, but probably not as much as a personal keepsake and a wonderful experience.

Hi, it seems no one has addressed this part yet, but cooking a pearl can and will damage it, just as cooking a shell fish will damage the shell. However, yes, this is definitely a real (though non-nacreous) pearl, so at least it will have the value you want it to have as a keepsake. Probably a little monetary value, too, although that's really not something I know about.

Back