One more exotic

You know, I have to say that whatever anyone got, whether darker or lighter metallic fancy colours, you would be hard pressed to put together these strands in this quality of freshwater. Sure, you could buy 20 kilos or more of "stuff" from various eBay vendors and then cherrypick. And would you get comparable strands? What would it cost in terms of time and money and sore fingers? It would be interesting to try. In two years, I have only been lucky twice on Ebay with metallic fancy coloured Chinese freshwaters. One strand was the most metallic orange I have ever seen(found some comparable individual pearls on the PP strands) and the other is a lavender metallic in different dark shades. Both strands are very round. But it took me TWO YEARS to get lucky. So I thank you PP., for saving me time and money and aggravation.

Slraep

Caitlin, yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. But good to know Jeremy's cool with it. :)

So, Jeremy, where are my pictures?!? (Just kidding!) :)

Perle

Some of you have mentioned in the past seeing a note stuck to an order (someone forgot to remove it) that says "Pearl-Guide customer!!! Choose Carefully!"

I got a chuckle out of this! :)

I am currently puzzling about what color thread to buy to string my very metallic oval exotic bracelet (7.5-8.5) It is basically silvery, but gray thread doesn't seem the right choice because the silver is laid over other colors. What color thread have others used?

Gray silk is shiny. Have you got some and it looks dull? I used to have a color named "horizen". It was mauve-y -blue - gray in color. It looked different depending on what was next to it.

If your beading thread color choices are limited, then silk embroidery thread also comes in many colors and is in more stores than beading silk.

Hey, it works! Shoulda tried this a long time ago! Ha, ha, just kidding! :)

Seriously, thanks, Jeremy! Can't wait to see them - might have to figure out how to post photos (finally!).

Perle

Gray silk is shiny. Have you got some and it looks dull? I used to have a color named "horizen". It was mauve-y -blue - gray in color. It looked different depending on what was next to it.

If your beading thread color choices are limited, then silk embroidery thread also comes in many colors and is in more stores than beading silk.

Thanks, Caitlin. That is an idea.

Hi Pearl_Dreams. Just saw your question. Try Taupe. I'm amazed at what taupe blends with. Any store that has silk thread should be able to help. I've tried embroidery floss but haven't had much luck with it. By the time you undo a strand long enough to knot with, all you have is a big 'ol mess. Plus embroidery floss isn't thread. It's not meant to be worked in lengths you'll need to knot a necklace, or even a bracelet for that matter. You'll have to doubly work it if stretch is a concern. You can use it for the larkshead knot on a carrier line. I haven't experienced a problem that way.

Taupe! What a great idea-- a true neutral. That should work. I have been looking at lilac thread online but the color didn't seem quite right.

I'm wondering something about the larkshead knot with a carrier line-- How is the carrier line attached to the clasp? Does it go through the gimp? What if the carrier line is beading wire? I'm having a hard time visualizing what to do with it.

Wire will kink when you tighten the larkshead. Try something a little more supple if you're after no stretch. When I've used this, I've used bead tips and attached the clasp from there, but I can't see why you couldn't finish with gimp as well. You don't have to attach the larkshead line to the clasp. It stays in place all by itself, which is kinda cool.

I just finished drilling this piece today. It is 7.5 mm to 10.3 mm, perfectly round and clean exotic strand. The clasp is a basket style with an exotic set in the center. The earrings are of a color that is hard to describe and did not come out as well as I had hoped in the photo. They are about 8.1 mm and have shades of pink, green and gold.

Sorry for the photos. Natalie is really working against the clock on a photoshoot today so I shot these myself at my desk.

View attachment 3098

Below is how the clasp will attach. I am not completely sold on the clasp yet, but I wanted to work an exotic pearl into it. The pearl matches the earrings.

View attachment 3099

Just to let you know, this is a one of a kind and it has a home. Hopefully she will post her own pictures of it when she receives it!

Hi everyone,

here now photos of "The one and only" strand of Excotics, as I call it and some more of my Tahitians and 1 of the gem strands and an baroque Akoya for comparison of bodycolour and overtone.
Please note that all the exotics are much more pastel (lighter), much more metallic looking in reality. We tried to tone down the colours but then the sharpness would disappear.... pics were taken in indirect light conditions.

As I have/use a neckstand I want to tell you the length of the strands so You can picture them on your neck:

The lengths have the clasp included.
The Exotics: graduated strand, 19,05" = 48,4cm, size 7,5 - 10,34 mm
The small Exotics: slightly graduated, 18,11 " = 46 cm, size 7-8 mm
The Gem freshwater strand: 16,18" = 41,1 cm, White with Ivory overtones
The Akoyas: 24,53" = 62,5 cm, baroques, medium luster, rose overtones.

For Jody:
The large baroque Tahitians: Grey body + aqua/rose overtones, 17,72" = 45 cm, size 10-12 mm.
TPO`s small circled strand: Dark bodycolour, green/rose ovetones, 18,11" = 46 cm, size 8-10 mm.
Drop Tahitian strand with silverbody colour, aqua/rose overtones, 17,72" = 45 cm, size 9-10 mm (I stated the strand as dark silver body, but it is another strand I have, this is just "Silver" body). Note that the strand is much more silvery grey than green, somehow it comes out much more in the photo, why that is so, I don?t know.

I hope you enjoy the picture show, Inge. Please note that you can see the pictures with or without text. I was not able to edit this wihtout logging in again, sorry.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jerin51/ExoticsAndTahitianStrands/photo#s5183480268538510434

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J

Hi Inge,
They are BEAUTIFUL strands, all of them. Can you post the earring picture too? The round Tahitian is very pretty. I also noticed the pic of the exotic with the enhancer... your strand has a wider spacing between the pearls (maybe wire wrap... or whatever the material is called) where the enhancer rests. How do you hide the space when you wear the strand without the enhancer?

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous pearls.

It looks like I was posting while you were editing... LOL

Cathy

Last edited:
Thanks Jerin,
They are all gorgeous. Fabulous collection.

Hi Inge,
They are BEAUTIFUL strands, all of them. Can you post the earring picture too? The round Tahitian is very pretty. I also noticed the pic of the exotic with the enhancer... your strand has a wider spacing between the pearls (maybe wire wrap... or whatever the material is called) where the enhancer rests. How do you hide the space when you wear the strand without the enhancer?

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous pearls.

It looks like I was posting while you were editing... LOL

Cathy

Cathy, thanks for the compliments on my strands. The strand with the enhancer is strung on silk, where the space for the enhancer is, I put in a bit of French Wire (gimp) to strengthen the silk where the enhancer will wear down on it. My husband is going to photgrap the clasp and the studs later, hopefully it will not be so windy as it is right now.... I am not planning to wear the strand without enhancer, this one can not be opened. The only chance would be for me to restring it without it, but I won?t do it, as I really like the design.:)

i

i

Thank you, Inge. It makes sense now. It is very pretty with the enhancer. Which gauge did you use for the enhancer?

Gorgeous, beautiful, wonderful job! The pics of your exotics are the best I've seen and look precisely like mine, only mine are much smaller. I think we should all get together, where our exotics, compare, and have a party. I would love to see the larger sizes. Wonderful enhancer. Isn't that green amazing? There were studs matched? Are they matched from exotics stock or freshwater stock that is similar? Now, to the Tahitians. Gorgeous! And I've seen LOTS of Tahitians! I don't have Tahitians because they seem so formal to me and I'd only have the opportunity to wear them once a year or so (although those Keishis are calling me) yet you say your strand is casual. What makes it more casual to you? I can't wait to see the clasp! Inge, MARVELOUS COLLECTION! While we're at it, I don't recall seeing the silver-blue akoya strand. Your pictures are so fantastic, would you mind posting it for me, please? Thanks!

Oh! And I saw RED in your exotics! Look closely.

Last edited:
Thank you, Inge. It makes sense now. It is very pretty with the enhancer. Which gauge did you use for the enhancer?

French Wire comes thin, medium and heavy (thickness). This is medium and the Silk size is E, doubled.

Gorgeous, beautiful, wonderful job! The pics of your exotics are the best I've seen and look precisely like mine, only mine are much smaller. I think we should all get together, where our exotics, compare, and have a party. I would love to see the larger sizes. Wonderful enhancer. Isn't that green amazing? There were studs matched? Are they matched from exotics stock or freshwater stock that is similar? Now, to the Tahitians. Gorgeous! And I've seen LOTS of Tahitians! I don't have Tahitians because they seem so formal to me and I'd only have the opportunity to wear them once a year or so (although those Keishis are calling me) yet you say your strand is casual. What makes it more casual to you? I can't wait to see the clasp! Inge, MARVELOUS COLLECTION! While we're at it, I don't recall seeing the silver-blue akoya strand. Your pictures are so fantastic, would you mind posting it for me, please? Thanks!

Oh! And I saw RED in your exotics! Look closely.

Hi Knotty,
once again thanks very much for the compliments on the strands.
The matching studs came from the exotic stock and if I am really correct, the colour is in indirect daylight rose/gold/silver, not just silver. And the clasp pearl is the same. The pearl that seems to be red is in reality pastel coloured, still it is darker than the other "reddish" pearls. The enhancer I bought from Bella Findings.

I am going to take out the Akoya strand once again, but I am certain I have posted erlier on this thread under "Akoyas" I believe, but if my husband is willing to take some more pics, I?ll post them of course! Yes, a party would be great! I think about the Tahitians that I am a bit of a snobb, just can?t help it! And it is the circled pearls that make it in my eyes more youngish or suited to go with very informal clothing! But none of my strands look too formal when wearing, at least that is my opinion. But my big ones are something to look at so if I wear them I make sure that I have a nice top or blouse to go with it!:D

Keshis are not really what I like best, but I do have freshwater keshis that are very nice, a 3-row strand, made by myself, I like to add. When it comes to Tahitians, I would like a perfectly round one, if I could afford it, but I am very satisfied with my large baroque strand, the pearls do look round if seen from a distance and that?s good enough for me!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back