Ode to my pearls

Eugenie

Community member
Hi All,

At last, I received my necklace yesterday. It's my first pearl necklace, and I am happy I didn't buy Akoya which was my original intention but read a number of articles and discussions and chose freshwaters.

I was slightly nervous while unpacking it, and, when I fist saw it, I was almost disappointed. I expected something brighter, more shiny and flashy. But in several minutes I realised it actually had that mirror-like luster - in every pearl I could see tiny reflection of my face, eyes and all, and I could see my hand and even count the fingers. I spent about an hour playing with the necklace, studying it under different light conditions, turning this way and the other. It feels like a real thing, it feels alive! I took some pictures today - the light was not really good, I only had time to do it in the afternoon, and the necklace might look more yellowish than in the real life. Also, the light is behind it, because I like the way the pearls are translusent, and it also makes it look somewhat yellowish. In fact, it's very white with a very slight rose overtone. Just what I wanted!

The pearls are 7-7,5 mm, and I think the size is as stated. I had to look very hard to find any blemishes at all - there's a couple of very slight ones. Please forgive me for boasting, but you're the only people who can really share my joy. However, my husband was also impressed, although he's usually quite indifferent about jewellery.

Thank you all for sharing the most valuable information, you have done a lot to help me choose. I know there are much better pearls out there, but these are just what I wanted (and could afford), and I am really happy about them.

pearl1.jpg

pearl2.jpg

pearl3.jpg

pearl4.jpg

pearl5.jpg

Last edited:
They look beautiful, and the most important thing is that they make you so happy! Congratulations on your purchase!

Ahhhh, Eugenie,

It's true love! Beautiful necklace, and one you can wear with joy! Love the photos with the lace! No doubt the first in a growing wardrobe of pearls, and one your husband can help you build too.
Congratulations!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Last edited by a moderator:
The beauty of freshwaters just keeps growing on you, I find. I like my pearls even more now than when I first got them-- both the ones I bought and the ones I strung myself.

Even though they are so well matched, there are minute differences in luster and overtones that add to the beauty of the strand as a whole.

pattye, thank you very much! I like it so much, I only take it off to look at it and put back on again ) Of course, I already have plans to buy a necklace for my mother, and peacock black for myself, and earrings, and some baroques, and... need to work more :)

Pearl_dreams, I, too, find these irregularities charming, as an evidence of 'naturality'. Somehow my gold necklace doesn't feel alive at all :)

Eugenie, you do have what Bo Torrey of 'Pearl World' (subscription information to the upper left of this page) calls the 'Pearl Disease.' No immunity among those who lurk here!

Re freshwaters, I am anxious to compare a South Seas large white keshi pearl strand (currently pending delivery) with Pearl Paradise's untreated white freshwater baroques we acquired last year. The increased hardness factor of the saltwater pearls may be the only significant difference.

Your husband: The originators of this forum are male, and pearls seem to fascinate our gender more than any other form of jewelry. Here's a paragraph from the Introduction to 'The Pearl Book' by well-known pearl author Antoinette Matlins:

"Whatever the reason, I love pearls. And, interestingly, it is a love shared by my husband, who cares little for diamonds or most other gems. The most important gifts he has bestowed upon me have all been pearls. My most cherished possession is an exquisite natural pearl and diamond ring he gave me to wear next to my wedding ring; I wear it always. I don't know what it is about them that draws him, but his appreciation for pearls, and the pleasure he experiences seeing me in them, mirror my own appreciation and pleasure in wearing them."

He'll be hooked before you know it.

Steve

Congratulations Eugenie, it's beautiful! ;)

I know what you mean about your initial disappointment. I always tell people to hold on to mail-order pearls for a day or two because they rarely look exactly like the photo. Later, as you see them in different lights, their subtle beauty becomes apparent.

Welcome to the world of pearl-obsession. :cool:

GemGeek said:
I know what you mean about your initial disappointment. I always tell people to hold on to mail-order pearls for a day or two because they rarely look exactly like the photo. Later, as you see them in different lights, their subtle beauty becomes apparent.

Yep, I can vouch for that - for some reason, most of the pearls I've bought mail-order always look tons nicer after a day or two. S'pose they don't like being cooped up in the dark and tossed around in transit; not to mention freezing aircraft holds.....:D

Hi Eugenie
and congratulations on your charming pearls which truly are lovely photographed on lace. It makes the colour look such a beautiful white/creme, without being yellow. Very becoming for any type of skin, I think.

Prepare yourself and your husband for the need of shopping more and more pearls!:p, that?s what has been happening to all of us once we got started!:)

Eugenie,

Congratulations and a beautiful purchase, your mom will love hers when she gets hers!

Cheers
Ash

Dear All, thank you for your kind words. Indeed, I now like my pearls much more than on the day they arrived. And, just as many of you forecasted, I just want more and more! Also, I entertain (and somewhat educate) myself by visiting jewelry shops, looking at their pearls, studying them for blemishes, etc. It's amazing how little people here know of pearls! Sellers have no idea what they're selling. Also, the prices are inadequate.

Many women in Uzbekistan wear pearls every day, but the quality of their pearls is abysmal. It's strange, but they only seem to look at size and the gold clasp when buying, because their pearls are typically large, off-round and chalky. They also wear seed pearls, it's usually just one strand, often without a clasp at all (just tied on their neck so that they can't take it off). Pearls were extensively used in traditional jewelry, but I've never seen any impressive speciments - mostly small and dull. Well, anyway, if I ever see anything interesting, I will try to take a picture of it.

Again, many thanks to all of you for kindly sharing info, pics, jokes and joy of being pearl people ;)

Several weeks ago I received my order from Pearl Paradise - Freshadama 7-8 mm earrings for myself and AAA FW necklace for my mom. Both of us are absolutely happy! I want to thank Jeremy, Kirsten and Mia once again for providing these wonderful pearls to us. Nobody believes the necklace is FW; also, some people would not believe my mom's necklace is real (it looks too expensive I reckon).

I will now post the pictures of the earrings together with my necklace which came from Ebay, and I will take pics of the PP necklace when mom comes to visit me. I must say I still like my Ebay necklace, and I don't think I did too bad on that, but PP necklace is much better in all regards - size, uniformity, roundness... the luster is better on PP necklace, too. The PP necklace is so shiny and translucent it seems to bright up the wearer's face. It has far exceeded my expectations! Regarding the earrings, I asked for an orienty pair, no matter what the overtone is; I think the overtone is ivory. They are very translucent and sometimes look almost liquid. And, yes, the earrings have visible orient in indirect light. Now mom wants a pair for herself ))

For the time being, I will only show the Freshadama earrings and the Ebay necklace. Too bad my camera and myself kill all the fine nuances of orient and overtones. What I see with my own eyes looks quite different.

pearls2.jpg

pearls3.jpg

pearl4-1.jpg

Even in the photos I can see the orient and gorgeous luster of those earrings. Quite a lovely pair! Your necklace looks good too, even if it's not the gem grade. Good shopping. :)

How is your mom liking her necklace?

Hi Eugenie
I am so glad you found our information compelling enough to go freshwater! May your descendants for generations wear it too....
#####
To everybody:
Notice Antoinette's quote from above.

exquisite natural pearl and diamond ring he gave me to wear next to my wedding ring; I wear it always
Now there is a pearl expert of the first water wearing her natural pearl always! A natural pearl is a good investment for wear and tear.....

Beautiful necklace and earrings! I can see your reflection in each pearl!:)

Enjoy your new lovely pearls!

I can't wait to see your Mother's too!

Heidi, thank you,
My mom adores her necklace and hardly ever takes it off. Now she thinks she doesn't want her akoya earrings anymore, so I will gladly buy freshies for her ))

Admin, indeed I am very grateful to the members of this forum; every time I come here I learn something new and just enjoy reading and looking at pics. And, yes, I feel good knowing my FWPs should last long enough to be given to my daughter. Even though they didn't occur naturally, they don't have beads inside )) You can't imagine my disappoinment when I learnt about the beads, but I was very happy I didn't happen to buy any. I mean, some of those pearls are really beautiful, but I am nuts about natural materials, naturalness, etc. and want my pearls to be all nacre.

Kaywal, thank you so much! I am afraid I might become a pearl addict, now I'm thinking of buying a new jewelry box so that the pearls are comfortable, and of course of buying new pearls ))

Back