• DSCF7013.jpg
    DSCF7013.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF7014.jpg
    DSCF7014.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:
They look like they came out of my Grandfather's kidneys :rolleyes:
Were these found buried underground or inside the ocean?

They look like natural pearls from a non nacreous species. Japanese oysters, bay scallops or clams perhaps.

I'd like to see images in better light and a basic white background.

Oh, Douglas... Mikeyy.....DOROFL....that's doubled over rolling on the floor laughing, hee hee hee
gasping for breath...

welcome, katemaxine, to the pearl madhouse!

We had hurricane "Paul" on its way...I needed to laugh a bit (takes away the anxiety!), so sorry for the comment. I've seen nacreous pearls that look the very same way when they have been unearthed (from archeological excavations) or when they are found on the sea-bottom.

Any chance of these having been found in either situation?

Last edited:
Gee Douglas, are you apologizing for being funny???? Nah...I bet Katie appreciates a funny remark too!

anyway, I hope you post again Kate, with close ups of the pearls on a white paper towel. We have a thread called Taking pictures of pearl jewellerythat gives good information.

the point of the next two suggestions is to see if you can reveal some/any nacre:

what would you think of picking one, [not the biggest or best looking for suggestion (2)] and
(1)gently scraping away at the surface of one of these things? Or
(2)Here's what I'd try - soak one pearl in one half bleach - one half water solution for 15 minutes. Then take it out and rinse it, towel dry and have a look. Maybe you will have revealed some nacre. If not, the bleach solution might've softened the surface enough to make the scraping easier.

The bleach solution will dissolve/damage a pearl, given enough time, so never put known, good pearls through this, ok?

Please come back and tell us more!

Last edited:
I found what I think is a pearl in an oyster that I was eating today. How can I find out if it is a pearl and or if it has any value? It is not white, grey or maybe evena little purpble or blue?!?!?! It is very small. Help me please.

Thanks in advance.

Angie

Back