New,trying to learn about family pearl necklace

L

lafive

22379685_o.jpg

22379684_o.jpg
My mother handed me down these pearls,they are yellow in color,intact,but I have no clue what they are,and should they be in the safe
any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lafive,

They look like Mallorca pearls but you may give them the tooth test to find out whether they may be akoya cultured. I doubt it, though. Neither akoyas nor Mallorca pearls need to be in a safe. Enjoy them.

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for a bit of clarification, I've copied this info over from "the imitation pearls" link to the left: https://www.pearl-guide.com/imitation-pearls.shtml
Imitation pearls are generally marketed under descriptive terms such as "faux," "simulated," "artificial," or "man-made." Sometimes regional names are also used: "Mallorca pearls," "Red Sea pearls," "Laguna pearls," etc.
A common test to determine whether a pearl is genuine or imitation consists of scraping the pearl gently across one's teeth. Imitation pearls feel smooth to the tooth, while genuine pearls feel slightly gritty or abrasive due to the crystalline structure of the nacre.

These (faux) pearls look to me as if they were coated and there is an excess of coating around the drill holes.

Back