New to pearls...I know nothing!

BeadingHeart

Hi, I started making beaded jewellery approx 2 years ago. I started off with seed beads and then progressed on to Swarovski pearls and crystals. I was happy with that until I discovered REAL pearls. OMG, how did I live on this planet for almost 59 years and not know how beautiful real pearls were.

Anyway, I know absolutely nothing about pearls except that they look exquisite so I've joined here hoping to learn more. I don't own any pearls, I wouldn't even know where to begin buying them. The bet I have done is buy some peach potato pearls so any advice and knowledge you can give me will be great. I am excited to be here and to learn.

Welcome to Pearl Guide! There is a wealth of information here. In the lowly bearers section you will find several excellent threads on how to knot those new treasures :)

Welcome to Pearl Guide! There is a wealth of information here. In the lowly bearers section you will find several excellent threads on how to knot those new treasures :)

Ooh, thank you, Marianne. Is it better to knot by hand or by one of those knotting machine thingies? That's a technical term! I can actually knot by hand, amazingly for me!

Oh my...you will be amazed at how much you can learn here by just browsing...welcome!!!

Hi BeadingHeart and welcome to the Forum! There is SO much information here, I know you'll quickly be a Pearl Expert. :) Let us know if you have any specific questions.

I would not waste money on one of those knotting gizmos… With a little practice you can learn to do it with no tools at all. I use tweezers, but that is how I learned many years ago and it is hard to teach old muscles new tricks :)

My advice on buying pearls: take your time and have a long look at the sites suggested by BlackPearlDudeDC so you can get an idea of the best quality and prices. Then look at all the different types of pearls in the Show Us Your Pearls in Action thread, among others, to find thins that appeal to you.

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7943

We all have a lot of pearls that we don't wear much now. I call them starter pearls. In the rush to get one of everything, we bought several affordable pieces. If I combined the cost of all the pearls I don't wear, I could have a couple of magnificent pieces. So take your time and save up for something special.

And welcome to the fold. :)
Blaire

I absolutely agree with GemGeek's advice...there is a world of difference between mediocre and wonderful, but if you buy wisely, wonderful can still be affordable! It is worth it to do your homework. I have had very good experiences with several vendors on the above list, as well as a few others...including Kamoka. Folks here are more than happy to offer advice and opinions.

BeadingHeart,

I'm around your age, and I've found that I like larger pearls now compared with what I used to buy and wear. They just look and feel better on me. I still wear some of the smaller ones I bought years ago, if they are especially nice, but others have been passed on to my daughter.

Back