New Member, New Inherited Pear Necklace!

Well I'd like to see the other stuff. Will it be better if she puts her stuff in a PG album, or what?

I guess it's clear an appraisal is worth the money. That's cool!

And I was the only mean one :confused::(, and I promise I'm sad that I was, and I won't do it again.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, sorry for the late night pics. Here are the 2 earrings that look like pearls...and a weird looking necklace that has knots between the "whatever they are's"...if they aren't pearls or from the pearl family please go easy on me...i'm a newbie here. The necklace has darker things inside like pearls in the middle...they are actually quite interesting looking.

Hi InheritedPearls,

The other necklace are freshwater pearls from the early days, often called "rice crispies". They don't have a value as such, though they are real pearls. The earrings look like a pair of akoya earrings. Do they feel slightly gritty when you rub them gently against each other? I'm thinking they could be intended to match the 3-stranded necklace.

- Karin

I agree with the two posters above, and will only add that the FW rice krispie real pearls are cultured, even though they do not have a bead inside. This is what freshwater cultured pearls looked like in the 80s. (A little bit of mantle tissue is used in lieu of a bead.)

InheritedPearl, were these among the 26 items you received? If so, and if you'd feel comfortable sharing, I'd be interested in knowing what the appraisal documents said about them.

Hey everyone, and thanks for the info. The 2 pearl earrings are for sure real...probably Akoya's...and they are quite big. They do have the gritty feel like my other 3 strand necklace. There was no mention of the rice krispies necklace or pearl earrings on the appraisal form from 1980...i have the appraisal list of 26 items...but inherited over 100 pieces...all gold...and a lot of the gold items weren't on the appraisal form either.

I can see why everyone here loves pearls so much, they really are neat and classy!

Thanks for the info, InheritedPearl. So many people ask a question, go off to do more research and never come back with their findings. It's great to have a solution to a mystery! Especially appreciated is your willingness to take and post pictures of your neat and classy pearls. :D

Thanks Bacca! I just wanted to join this forum...and share what i had, and to try and find out as much information as i could about these pearls. This forum seems really great, and all though i am not a pearl collector, i will probably stick around, i like the environment here and there are lots of knowledgeable, helpful members. I really did learn a lot this past week from this forum regarding pearls. I think i will bring the pearl pieces i have, and get them appraised just to see what their current value is, mainly out of curiosity. I don't plan on selling them but if there is a collector here that would really like to have them...i would be ok with that and i know someone here would care for them well. All the other gold pieces i inherited (lots) i will also keep.

This has been quite a thread, and really good to see it continue (often similar posts seem to fade-out quite quickly)

hope you eventually get a satisfactory ending IP :)

I noticed that the earrings don't have cups holding them, but rather small stud-posts. Is that because of their age?

on that subject, I've noticed that earrings today (of approxiamtely the same size) can have either very small or quite large cups holding them. Does anyone know if that's just a fashion/taste/cost thing, or does the size of the cup change how the earring sits on the ear?

That's an interesting point Alex...it doesn't have any cups holding the pearls, but i think it's nice like this...you get to see ALL pearl!

Hi InheritedPearl, it's nice to see you're still here! I was just going to look up your thread and post and here you are- wonderful!

I'm dying to know if you cleaned your pearls, and if you'd post a pic if you had?

Actually, i haven't gotten around to cleaning the pearls...i will have to order a good/safe cleaning product first!

I recommend either Hagerty Pearl Clean. You might be able to find the Hagerty products at an Ace Hardware, or similar store. The Pearl Doctor product costs more but lasts a lot longer, as it is in concentrated form. Both products are also good for other types of jewelry -- including coral, opal, jade, etc. -- which, like pearls, should not be cleaned with products designed for diamonds and hard gemstones.

Hello everyone, ive just been browsing your topic , i just felt i needed to say what a lovely and helpful of bunch people you are. hopefully if i need your help you will be just as kind and lovely as you have been to your newcomer with her question of her pearl necklace. Barbara

Hello ive just joined after nosing through your thread, what a lovely helpful bunch of people you are keep up the good work. i think you have helped
inherited pearl quite a lot well done Barbara

Inherited Pearl - whatever you do, don't sell them for the $2,000 that has been bandied around. They are likely to be worth more like $6,000 - $8.000 if they have good lustre & nacre and are indeed the age you think. Do get two valuations and sit on them for a while and ponder. Do you have family members you could bequeath them to if you don't think you will use them yourself? I'm a great believer in keeping precious heirlooms in the family!

Back