New hoot

jshepherd said:
Yeah, that part is pretty funny. You do not usually see advertising copy in an appraisal.

Do you remember the AIG appraisals we discussed a year or so ago? They were pearl sets and pearl earrings with silver backs appraised for thousands. I believe those are the same guys that appraise jewelry for a pretty well known chain.

I also remember that we have discussed AIG before... their address is a mailbox, not a location :) I was reading in a forum not to long ago (where Norman is actually a member) and someone challenged their AIG appraisal. Norman responded that he wanted them to call him on the phone and that was the end of the conversation... (well - except for everyone else on the forum saying that AIG appraisals were bogus).

It's is pretty bad when you are a member of a forum, your name is on the appraisals and everyone in the forum says the are ... what was the phrase.. suitable for the bottom of a bird cage...

To be fair we ought to have the opposite contest as well: the BEST description and the PRETTIEST pearl items offered on Ebay. That'll be more challenging....

Hi Stephen,

Is that your positive nomination for honesty and a good deal or is that up against the 1920-1930 Victorian necklace with the Stuller stamping clasp and the 16k akoya earrings?

Zeide

This is sad... anyone found good nominations yet?

Lets see: THIS is not quite about remarkable pearls in their own right, but still... some wonderful use of pearls, IMO. Wonder if the stringing on the necklace is not only redone (=normal) but also redesigned in a more updated taste than the tassel pendant implies, but as little as pictures show about the pearls makes them look as natural seed pearls.

Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Jeremy,

I saw that, too, but he is offering appraisals from more than one appraiser. That sounds like a cert buyer like my late mother in law. Some of her things like a 7mm natural grey color akoya cultured necklace (36 inches or 90cm) I simply gave away. She paid US$3000.00 for that at a San Francisco wholesaler in 1988 and it came with a US$ 10,000.00 appraisal. Please note that was a legitimate business where her friend who owned a jewelry store was buying her merchandise. Ask Inge Jernberg what the thing looks like now. My mother in law hardly ever wore it. I gave it to Inge because she wanted to know what it looks like. The PPBs are perfectly round with less than 5% inclusions, though. I guess that makes them AAA.

Zeide

Hi, Zeide and all other members of this forum!

Yes, I got the necklace and the luster was not very good, still I thought if I would give them a wash according to Zeides advice, that would do them good and the nacre would be able to "suck up" necessary liquid. Unfortunately the pearls that before had som silvery colour, now look as if they were bleached, totally lacking luster and on a couple you actually can see a spot that has the silvercolour, they have been polished to get that kind of luster, which even then was not great.

To make certain that everything was done right I soaked them once again in destilled water as the first time round and the result got even worse. These pearls have now earned the title that Zeide calls all the later Akoyas, i.e. pearl pleated beads.

Remember this neclace was bought 1983 and Zeide thought that they were only polished but not treated otherwise. But it seems that this is not true, otherwise the pearls would not be in that sorry state they are now.

Here are some photos, the double strand are Akoyas as they should look (AA+) and the ones from Zeide, that cost a lot and are nothing but PPBS. Everyone can see the harsh results of different treatments on pearls with insufficient nacre thickness.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Attachments

• Bild 017s.jpg
    Bild 017s.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Bild 022s.jpg
    Bild 022s.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Bild 004s.jpg
    Bild 004s.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Zeide,

I do not mean to sound ungrateful, it was just such a shock to see the pearls change.....:(

Zeide Erskine said:
As always, the object has to be ugly, brutally overpriced, and either fake or grossly misrepresented.
Well, these certainly qualify as ugly, I think. Overpriced? I sure as heck wouldn't take these things if you paid me to, so yeah, they are to me. Misrepresented? Maybe, maybe not. They are described as Tridacna and certainly don't have orient to fill a thimble, so maybe they're the real deal.
THESE BELONG TO THE SAME FAMILY- GIANT CLAMS ARE NOT NACREOUS BUT HAVE A PROCELIAN LIKE LUSTRE .GIANT CLAMS LIVE EMBEDDED IN REEFS WITH THEIR VALVES GAPING TOWRDS THE SUN, ALGAE LIVING WITHIN THEM PHOTOSYNTHESIZE SUNLIGHT WHCIH PROVIDES ADDITIONAL ENERGY TO THE CLAM
Draw your own conclusions.
COMES WITH A BOOK ON PEARLS
Just in case the buyer decided to spend $90K on something they know nothing about, I guess. Too bad the seller can't be bothered to identify the book.
http://cgi.ebay.com/A-COLLECTOR-PEA...ryZ10243QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wait, you mean I picked the winner? Wow. I have the perfect trophy, too. Take a random polished rock and label it a krayt dragon pearl. Toss in a nice mystiquery tale about how it came from the gizzard of a predatory lizard 100 feet long, and that eBay seller will probably be able to retire from the proceeds of selling it.

Actually, I think I figured out what the seller really meant by "a book on pearls." He's going to buy a randomly selected paperback... and have it sitting on top of the pearls.

Wow Pearl-Guides Version of The Darwin awards... This ought to be fun! What will you find next??????

Cheers
ASh

Hi Zeide,

Wow things are getting deep... My stomach turned just readinj gall that info stuff... ther really have a good marketing team! and teh picture is no that pretty either..

Ash

Hi Ash,

Don't be too harsh on the picture, it's Jeremy's.

Zeide

Well, the pic's probably been recompressed several times over the course of its lifespan, so I doubt it's in exactly the same condition it was in when it was on Jeremy's site.

You should add a criterion, Zeide, of worst grammar and/or spelling. Surely anyone who's serious about selling a piece worth tens of thousands of dollars would go through the minimum effort of proofreading or get a qualified person to do it if the seller isn't fluent; often, the listings seem like the results of an automatic translator.

And though I'm still partial, so to speak, to the $90k porcelain tumors, I guess this one does satisfy the criteria across the board. What is "East," aside from one of those letters on the compass?
The roundnesses, the East, the thickness of the n?cre are very often different.
The sea water pearls Akoya are among the most beautiful pearls of the world. They have the East among most beautiful.

Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Ash,

Don't be too harsh on the picture, it's Jeremy's.

Zeide

Hi Zeide!

What made me ill was the super sugar coating on the Blurb before I looked at the pictue! I hate sales pitches like that!

All I said was the pictue was not to good. NOting more nothing less nothing else.. It looks really washed out and dull like chalky dull.... on my monitor.... So It could just be that! I feel I was NOT harsh at all on the picture..

Really????? I would have never recognized it as one of Jeremys! Sorry Jeremy! You have me spoiled now I am a snob.... LOL!!!!
(not really I still have MUCH to learn!!!!!)

Padawan learner in Perals forever I am affraid!

Cheers
Ash

Pearls_by_Angela_Carol said:
Well, I know that this piece also has diamonds but it is still work a look :D

Rare enough to have a whole shop full ;)... Wouldn't that be rather trivia pearls to go with modern kundan? Wonder if those are diamonds, but with as much as the pictures show and the price, they could well be. Too bad the literary description is so strange.

Back