New Guide About Tahitian Pearls - really?

Do tell.
didja git a photo? Better yet, didja git the pearl? Otherwise, I'm assuming you found that pinctada on the way back from yer latest visit ta Davy Jones locker. It musta bin full of pearls seen that it lived happily in the sand......

Thank you to let me in and clarify about the 10 pound oyster.
The official site (gie) Perlesdetahiti.net have written 10 pounds like many other authority sites. Also if it's inaccurate why did Pearl-Guide.com also believe it's 10 pounds: "This oyster itself is quite large - sometimes over 12 inches across and weighing as much as 10 pounds - which often results in much larger-than-average pearls"
Link: https://www.pearl-guide.com/black-tahitian-pearls.shtml

So before commenting, check your own source.

As I already talk to Caitlin in witch I thanks for allowing me to join your forum for any questions or suggestion related to my site Tahitian-Pearls.com you are welcome to contact me :)

I was teasing. Of course I believe Josh, but it is a Paul Bunyan kind of story, you gotta admit! The fish er oyster that got away.

Steve, you got me! I have not read that article since its been rewritten with Josh's input. (Thanks for the rewrite, J&J). I am sorry I didn't know it was there. Thanks for coming back and clarifying. A lot of us have Google searches for pearls. Google is likely to return us the newest crawls, such as your website. We obviously found you before you were ready. But now, we will never forget you!

Come on Caitlin, why would I kill a wild oyster? Isn't there enough mollusc suffering as it is? I mean just think about all that irritating sand that they have to deal with as it is ;)

Last edited:
And then just think about the 10 pound. I mean a like oysters. But 10 pounds?? Needs a lemon tree that one.

Come on Caitlin, why would I kill a wild oyster? Isn't there enough mollusc suffering as it is? I mean just think about all that irritating sand that they have to deal with as it is ;)

I said I believed you!. It was just too easy to tease:D. Sorry! (not)

And then just think about the 10 pound. I mean a like oysters. But 10 pounds?? Needs a lemon tree that one.

Just had to add that the GIA pearl course says "Undisturbed in the wild, black-lipped mollusks can live 30 years, grow to 12 in. (30 cm) in diameter and weigh up to 11lb. (5 kg.)" [Assignment 7 - Tahitian Cultured Pearls, p.4]
If this is correct, Josh met one of these. Could it be that they do grow to this size, but very, very rarely? And maybe sources of information should identify very extreme examples as such.

Sigh! I want to take that course too! All the latest of Doug Fiske's writing with Jeremy's input, here and there...... I love Doug Fiske- as precise in his words as a calibrated microscope. Such a great scholar! This new course sets the new standard for jewelers' pearl knowledge! Thanks GIA, for an important contribution!!!

Caitlin,
I am enjoying the course tremendously. The materials and the pedagogic presentation are excellent Doug Fiske is indeed a master teacher. Russell Shor and Armand Asher added the worldly, business touch. Jeremy's contributions, as well as his images were greatly welcomed (But nothing will convince me that he needed a translator like the picture caption said).
Thanks to the GIA pearl course I can bore people twice as long and twice as intensely as I could before.

BTW, my Eli is now known around the house as my Spat, or Spaty.

Caitlin,
I am enjoying the course tremendously. The materials and the pedagogic presentation are excellent Doug Fiske is indeed a master teacher. Russell Shor and Armand Asher added the worldly, business touch. Jeremy's contributions, as well as his images were greatly welcomed (But nothing will convince me that he needed a translator like the picture caption said).
Thanks to the GIA pearl course I can bore people twice as long and twice as intensely as I could before.

BTW, my Eli is now known around the house as my Spat, or Spaty.

LOL, several people have asked me about that same point. The "translator" in the picture is actually the owner of a factory in Zhuji - not a translator.

Doug Fiske retired before the course was fully complete. This means that someone at GIA who did not have a real understanding of the material wrote all the captions for the photos. Doug was afraid of this and thought he may have to go back to GIA to at least do the captions. But alas...

Back