Need two small half drilled akoya

KarinK

This summer I bought a pair of earring findings from Sven at Augustus. I don't have a photo right now but they are long, granulated cones in the usual warm, amazing 22k gold.

They have a post at the end for - something. Unless I can find a pair of affordable, half-drilled rubies in good quality (keep dreaming...) I think I've settled on a pair of akoya pearls. So I need help in finding one pair of half-drilled akoya, size 4-5-5mm, with good luster.

Suggestions for where to find them or other options are welcome!

- Karin

I don't have any pearl sources in Denmark :) Not for something like two small akoya, anyway. Only cheap freshwater.

I don't believe in my ability to fund a pair of rubies. They would have to be custom made.

Freshwater seems a little doubtfull as far fit goes. I want them with high luster to match the special gold so they would have to be metallic and with a rose overtone rather than a green. I have a pair of pale lime Tahitians and they do not look good with the red gold tone.

Half of the pearls will be hidden by the cones so only half of the pearl needs to be pretty much blemish free.

- Karin

The two pearls could also be older, cream coloured ones. If possible, that would look even better than bright white.

- Karin

real pearls don't go that nicotine-stained colour - that's some old fakes from the early years of the last century before cultured pearls hit the market. Pearls from Roman times have been found which are still as they started out.
Stark white pearls are probably over-bleached

KarinK,

I use many little Akoya pearls, in white (tiny 4.3mm) dyed black (4.5mm) and silver-blue (5.5mm).

44209-731e00fc59f64e38bccdc230001baee8.jpeg

44209-3890c10893f7429d9ec3b23d3bcb3072.jpeg

Are you sure you want them this small?

They have to fit the opening of the gold cones I have. I think 5 mm is probably the right size. I had a pair in 5.5 mm that I wanted to use but I decided the luster wasn't quite enough.

Also, I have seen cream coloured akoyas from Sarah, Kojima, that had been sitting in a safe and have not been stained by nicotine.

- Karin

Pale gold or cream Akoya would go beautifully with the 22 ct gold settings.

44209-e4caa55076ac47658b8e73cb74d55594.jpeg

This is a natural colour, not stained, and very flattering. I would love to see your earrings once they are fitted.

Back