Need tips on Cleaning Tahitian pearls after removal from oyster

llcraig2011

I'm a jeweler and recently bought my first wholesale lot of tahitian pearl drops in the oyster shell. I was very excited to get the lot, open them, remove pearls, and clean them. After doing about 20 pearls, including gently cleaning them with dawn dishwashing detergent and a very soft toothbrush, I noticed the dried pearls had what looked like a residue or thin white film on them. I couldn't remove the film and finally tried gently rubbing one of the pearls with my water soaked soft fingernail. Surprisingly, it removed the film/residue! Is there an easier way to clean my tahitian pearls? They came in individual, sealed, clear plastic packages and were soaked in fimalgihyde or some other preservative that smelled bad! I don't know if the residue/film is salt or preservative. I have many pearls to clean and I need a faster, safer, and proper way to clean the pearls. Afraid I could scratch the pearl if I pressed too hard with my fingernail!

I'm concerned that you probably bought dyed freshwater pearls that were placed in akoya oyster shells. Can you give us more details about your source? Tahitians are not normally sold in shells.

I'm concerned that you probably bought dyed freshwater pearls that were placed in akoya oyster shells. Can you give us more details about your source? Tahitians are not normally sold in shells.

They were still in the body of the oyster which was still attached to the oyster shell. I had to find pearl and pull apart the flesh of the oyster to remove it. I don't believe they were dyed. The shells were natural color but small, almost akoya Pearl size shells. All natural colors that vary from the darker grayish brown with cherry and green overtones, some were bright silver color, and one had a silver top with a creamy golden bottom (drop shape). Once I got the residue off the pearls, pretty pearls though all had small pits or rings. Only 4 of 20 were smooth, which may be a normal ratio, since I haven't ever taken any pearls, except akoya pearl, out of the shell.

This was a deal from a vendor in Hawaii who I had bought beautiful tahitian pearls, out of the shell in the past. There were stickers on the plastic packages that said, "made in China". The body of the oyster was still attached to the shell and I had to cut into oyster body to get pearl out. No dye detected on oyster flesh or on oyster shell. They both looked all natural. The colors of the pearls, once I got the residue/film off the pearls ranged from bright silver (high luster) to darker grayish brown with cherry and green overtones. Most had good to high luster, once I got the residue/film off! One pearl was whitish silver on top and creamy golden on bottom! The oysters were smaller, size of akoya pearl oysters, so pearls were 6-8mm wide and 7-9mm long, drop shaped, small pits and rings on most of the pearls. 4 of 20 pearls were smooth and still drop shape. When I say drop shape, mostly round with point at top. I have shelled akoya pearls and never encountered a film or residue. However, the akoya pearls were peach colored so the film would not have shown other than to lessen luster.

Why are you buying pearls in this expensive and cumbersome way? Why not just buy the pearls from a reputable wholesaler? Are you sure they are genuine tahitians and not dyed freshwater?

I am thinking it would be helpful if you posted a picture of your pearls (both the dirty ones and the one you managed to clean). Then it is much easier for people here to understand exactly what you are talking about. I must admit that I am also a bit curious as to why you're going through all this trouble. It seems both cost-ineffective and possibly also harmful to your health and environment (not sure how much you know about formaldehyde, but it isn't something I would want to handle on a regular basis if it could be avoided).

First, peach color is not a natural color for akoya pearls, but it is a natural color for freshwater pearls.

This is a common scam: juvenile oysters, too young to have been nucleated with a bead, are being prepared in factories in China. They are opened, then freshwater pearls (both dyed in the factory and natural colors of pink, peach, lavender and white) are being placed inside the oyster. The oyster is then placed in a chemical solution that induces the oyster to close to protect itself but also kills and preserves it.

The dye would not be in the flesh of the oyster or the shell. You could not tell it was dyed, that way.

I don't see the ad on Etsy any more-- or even their shop-- but I think it was Maui Divers that was also advertising Tahitians packed in (akoya?) shells this way only a few months ago. On their regular website they have pick-a-pearl jewelry but they only call it a "blackish" pearl now, so it's a dyed freshwater. Also white/cream and peach/pink, which would be fwp that were not dyed. Either way, they are now FWP.

Please do post photos!

Also, as to cleaning pearls, I do not recommend using a detergent like Dawn. Try a mild soap and bottled water (to avoid both minerals that can leave residue and chlorine).

Last edited:
Ugh, I absolutely hate when people buy their "Tahitians" this way. I have seen a number of these drop shaped baroque freshwaters being touted as Tahitian pearls. One would think that when the label says made in China, that would be fair warning! I have been getting a number of questions from people wanting me to drill and set their beautiful "Tahitians" for them. It's as if people have never seen a photograph of a real Tahitian pearl.

I hate to say this, but it doesn't sound good.... There is one seller in Hawaii that I have seen promote Tahitians in vacuum packed oysters, however, I have no idea if they are real or fake. Most vacuum packed oysters contain freshwater pearls. I'm not about to buy any from this seller because I don't like the way they do business. I've purchased pearls from them before and they were not quality pearls (some of the uglier pearls I've seen lol). They had a video of a young girl picking up an oyster off the beach and opening it with a freshwater pearl inside- which we know isn't possible in real life. For the same price as one of their mystery oysters, I could buy a better pearl from a proven seller.

Tahitians do not come in small shells. They are big pearls that come from big oysters, the black lipped oyster, Pinctada margaritifera, which are not found in China. As the name states, there is a black band around the rim. Unfortunately, pearls inserted into oysters of another species are really popular now. We're not sure why because it is more expensive to purchase them one by one (not to mention the pearls sold in them are cheaper freshwater pearls) and they are being preserved in a mystery solution. It makes all of us pearl lovers sick to see the deceit. I hope you did not pay a lot for them.

When I wash my pearls, I soak them in distilled water and wipe dry with a soft cloth. I usually wash them before stringing and keep the old string in unless it is really gross. Then I'll remove it and use a temporary string and move the pearls back and forth so the string cleans the inside of the holes. The outer surface of my Tahitians are very glossy and reflective, like glass, so nothing really sticks to them- thus, I can get by with a quick swipe after wearing them. I don't know what solution was used to preserve the oysters you opened, so I would definitely soak them well.

llcraig2011, you've come to the right place to ask for expert help. Please post some photos of your pearls, before and after cleaning. Also post photos of shells, in packages, out of packages, before and after opening ... whatever you can. Lay all the items on white paper towels and take closeups. There are scientists and world class pearl experts here who can identify. In the meantime, please use extreme caution and protection; those preservative are known to be dangerous.

llcraig2011, you've come to the right place to ask for expert help. Please post some photos of your pearls, before and after cleaning. Also post photos of shells, in packages, out of packages, before and after opening ... whatever you can. Lay all the items on white paper towels and take closeups. There are scientists and world class pearl experts here who can identify. In the meantime, please use extreme caution and protection; those preservative are known to be dangerous.

Yes, adding my request to please post photos. This is all very concerning.

This was a deal from a vendor in Hawaii who I had bought beautiful tahitian pearls, out of the shell in the past.

I'm sorry but Tahitian pearls aren't purchased this way. No farmer is going to spend all that time growing an oyster and pearl only to sell it off site unseen.

You have freshwater pearls, no way they are Tahitian.

Just a few months ago I saw a vendor on Etsy selling ringed, low quality Tahitians in shells (akoya shells, I'm sure.) They were not cheap -- probably overpriced, actually. The listing is no longer there.

Just a few months ago I saw a vendor on Etsy selling ringed, low quality Tahitians in shells (akoya shells, I'm sure.) They were not cheap -- probably overpriced, actually. The listing is no longer there.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/499...h_query=tahitian+wish&ref=shop_items_search_3

3. Drop Shape Tahitian Pearls AA1 skin. It has light blemishing on the skin of the pearl. These are natural blemishes. Natural black colors. Size of pearl is 7mm to 7.9mm

Oh how funny, that's the seller I'm talking about too. Such a small world! For $18-28 an oyster, I'd rather find out what kind of pearl I'm getting so they match. I can get some great pearls from Jac with wonderful luster and larger sizes.

Meanwhile... anyone know what to do with these front row doozies I bought from them? :D
DSC06228.jpg

The pearls behind the front row are from Jac. He's on etsy as pearl house.

Wow! I appreciate all the input! It's Aloha Pearls on etsy. I have video and photos. Still haven't figured out how to post either. Seems it want a URL to post video. I have uploaded photos. My video shows residue better but haven't been able to upload the video. These photos are a group before residue removed, then several tahitian looking pearls after complete cleaning, one pearl that is two tone silver and creamy gold, one photos of vacuum sealed pearl lot. I will take photos of inside and outside of shells and post too! Thanks for all the help! I didn't realize the formagihyde was dangerous! Thanks for info! I was doing it because price was very good. I guess you get what you pay for!

Attachments

• IMG_7090.jpg
    IMG_7090.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7087.jpg
    IMG_7087.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7091.jpg
    IMG_7091.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7092.jpg
    IMG_7092.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7097.jpg
    IMG_7097.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 50
"You get what you pay for." Truer words were never spoken.

Amti, that first row-- :eek:

llcraig2011, some on here have bought wholesale Tahitian pearls from ThePearlHouse on Etsy (Jac, who is also located in Hawaii and is a member here on Pearl-Guide.)

IMG_7098.jpgIMG_7111.jpgIMG_7110.jpgIMG_7109.jpgIMG_7108.jpgIMG_7107.jpgIMG_7106.jpgIMG_7104.jpgIMG_7102.jpgIMG_7113.jpgExtraordinary Colorful Natural Agate NecklaceOk. Here are photos of shell and more close ups of actual pearls. You can see residue on shell in some of the photos. The Tahitian pearl with the brownish grey color with cherry and green overtones made me believe they were tahitians. Also included photo of one of the pearls that top came off and shell pearl nucleus is exposed. I thought these were tahitians that were pulled from water early because they aren't that well formed, pits and rings on most of them. The smallest of the Tahitian pearls is 7mm wide by 10mm long and many rings, low quality but pretty colors. Most are 7.5mm -9mm wide and 8mm-10mm long if your including top since these are drop pearls.
I also attached photos of the akoya "peach colored" pearls. They would probably be classified as pink. Natural color very round, seemed to be too round to be freshwater.

Attachments

• IMG_7099.jpg
    IMG_7099.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7112.jpg
    IMG_7112.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 53
Back