Need advice on pink pearls, please!

SarahR

Hello!

I'm a lurker and have really learned a lot from this website. Thanks to the SysOps and Moderators who keep it up & running, and to the folks who post with their info and assistance.

I have some questions about pink FWP. I have bought several strands of whites from a vendor in Beijing (I travel there for work fairly often). They've appraised at greater than $475, and they look gorgeous.

But I've been looking at some of her pink strands. I understand that the pink color can be natural or dyed. She insists that they aren't dyed; the pearls have some variations in colors (they're not uniform); and I don't see any evidence of dyeing around the drill hole.

How do pearls become pink? Is dye injected into the mollusk as the pearl is being formed?

Are white FWP worth more than the pink ones, assuming the strands are the same?

Would an 18" strand of pink FWP be a good bridesmaid gift?

Are pinks considered less formal than the whites?

TIA for any info. Oh, and if I've missed a place on this site that explains all this, my apologies. I did search for information on pinks, but didn't find what I needed. Feel free to direct me to the correct place!

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Pink is a natural color. Freshwater pearls come in a range of natural pastels, the most common being a pinkish peach and a lavender to purple.

Nothing is injected in the mussel to create this color. The color is basically determined be the location of the graft in the host. A single mussel that has been grafted multiple times on either valve will produce several different colors.

On a material level the pinks are less expensive than the whites, but the difference is negligible, and often they will sell for the same price or very close to it.

I think pink (only bodycolor and not overtone) is definitely more casual than white. Whether they are suitable for the wedding depends upon the situation and the colors of the party.

I prefer pinks on me - and pinks towards the lavender end of the spectrum because I need that touch of blue for them to be zingy. It is always best to try them against your skin to see which suits
As for bridal wear - i think that a touch of colour is good if you are very pale - a pale blond all in white going up the aisle can look a bit consumptive for example
There are no rules beyond doing what works for you

Hi SarahR,

And welcome! Personally, I love the natural pastel colors, including the pinks. They often exhibit the beautiful overtones more so than the white fw.

Pink cfwp necklaces would make great bridesmaid gifts as long as the person likes pink in general. Occasionally I meet some one who dislikes anything pink!

Lucky you to get to travel to Beijing and shop------------

Hello, Jeremy,

Thank you for your expert opinion! I know you must answer questions like these a hundred times a week :) but I appreciate your explanations.

As a newbie to pearls, I find that many people remember FWP as being the ugle type of rice krispie (sp?) pearls, and any pearl with color is a painted or cheap pearl. It must be an uphill battle for you to educate the public, Jeremy!

Love your website, and thanks again for the post!

Sarah

Hi, Pattye -

Agreed about some people hating anything pink. In that case, I hope they return their necklace to me and I'll make sure it gets a good home (evil laugh here!).

Actually, the more I look at these peachy-pinks, the more I like them over the whites. The whites are starting to look a bit boring!

Lucky you to get to travel to Beijing and shop-----------

I agree, I'm a lucky dawg. Now if I only knew what the heck I was doing!

Thanks for your post!

Sarah

Hello, Wendy --

I saw on a website that 'only' women of color should wear the peach or pink pearls. I find this hard to believe! It seems that, as you said, a person probably should try it on and see what she thinks and how it looks against her skin.

What's your take on this generalization? I think it's probably 90% baloney.

Thanks for your post,
Sarah

Women of What color? My redhead freckled daughter wears the peaches with aplomb. Perfect color for her skin and redhead's wardrobe. Most fair people look wonderful in the pink-tinged. Beige skin tones look great in peach or pink, maybe one better than the other depending on a yellow or blue undertone. I know a world class African dancer (Denise Bey Link ) with eggplant tones to her very dark skin. She looks fab in purple pearls, unbelievable in Golden pearls and fine in the peachy colors.

I don't think it's the color of the skin, but the undertone that makes for affinity or clashing. Even when I have a tan, certain colors still look pitiful on me. ;)

Good call Blaire, yes. Undertone. Spot on. I think I could dye myself blue and peach shades would still look like nothing on me

Thanks for the posts!

Thanks for the posts!

Thank you all for the information! I'm quickly realizing how easy it is to go nuts over pearls, and how much misinformation is online.

There's a lot to learn!

Thanks,

Sarah

Thank you all for the information! I'm quickly realizing how easy it is to go nuts over pearls, and how much misinformation is online.

There's a lot to learn!

Thanks,

Sarah

You're definitely right in that, Sarah. It's easy to go nuts over pearls! And there is a lot to learn, but think how much fun you can have learning it! :D

Just for Blaire and Wendy.....

Attachments

• wendy1.jpg
    wendy1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 35
Now you are just being silly Sue...or seeing me as Andoran (presumably the antennae are under that weird headgear which looks like a cut off giant silver finger)

Back