Natural lobster pearl - passport to the world of pearls? Any ideas?

Martin

I posted my story about finding a lobster pearl under Natural Pearls last month and since then I have been discovering a whole new world, the fascinating world of pearls. I didn't have a clue about how pearls were formed before my surprise lobster pearl find and I realize that majority of people have no idea either, which is why I have been thinking that my lobster pearl could be a great way to promote knowledge about these precious gems of nature.

I have had a few private collectors interested in acquiring the pearl but I think I would like to have the pearl exhibited somewhere that would give people an insight into the world of pearls and maybe have them feel the same enthusiasm that I have felt and am still feeling about the whole subject. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Martin
Barcelona

Attachments

• Pearl puka with Tahitian
    Pearl puka with Tahitian
    32.3 KB · Views: 33
Martin

I'm arriving in Barcelona next month and will stay one night on Passeig de Gracia before leading a group across Spain on a wine tour. Maybe we could meet, and discuss some options for non-invasive analysis of your lobster concretion by scientists specialized in Biomineralogy at U. Granada.

Send me a PM if so.

Did I hear that Ana is in Spain? Valeria101? I sure miss her links!!!!!

She's in Hungary, but makes regular trips to Spain.

I miss her posts too, but we've been doing a lot of correspondence and developing future studies. She has a knack for finding those obscure papers alright.

Ana has an article on pearl microstructure and different types of flame effect in white non-nacreous pearls in this month's Palagems Newsletter.

Very good article. She has an excellent contributor... your collection. ;)

I noticed Martin is in Barcelona. How convenient is that?!!

I also found a lobster pearl...

I also found a lobster pearl...

IMG_1623.jpgI know very little about pearls and had never heard of lobster pearls until I found one last month. Mine was in the middle of the claw meat. Having grown up in Maine, USA, the lobster capital, you can imagine my surprise when biting into it! In my 44 years, I had never heard of such a thing, nor had anyone I asked about it. I have found web-sites, appearing to come from Singapore, that list them for sale for $125 - $250. They advertise that they bring prosperity, among other things. If nothing else, it makes for an interesting conversation piece!

Hi,
could anyone confirm that this "pearl" is actually a chitin concretion?
what would be it's value considering the rather high biodegradability of the chitin? (if I understood well "lobster" as in "arthropod" hence chitin).

The two specimens here do indicate that a lobster-concretion 'typicity' exists, as they are so similar. Composition requires analysis, chitin most likely but calcification in the form of aragonite or calcite should not be discounted as a possible anomaly. A chitin concretion should nonetheless qualify for the 'lobster pearl' title.

I think Amy did her homework well and stated the case properly. Its value is as a conversation piece, unless impregnated with a soul by an Indo-Pacific shaman to become a mustika object with spiritual powers, for which there is a market.

Thanks Steve,
"chitin most likely but calcification in the form of aragonite or calcite should not be discounted as a possible anomaly"
Yes some sponges and echinoderms may produce calcite, but when it comes to arthropods I can think only of cirripedia. Further the lobster isn't a bioeroder, so unless calcite would have deposited (from a wound maybe) in the tissues, I wonder how it would come to be "produced".
Chitin being a biopolymer wouldn't that affect the longevity of the "lobster pearl"?
Thanks for your feedback. Most interesting.

Back