My new pastel Tahitian pearls

Wonderful photos, Hawaii is a lovely place, unfortunately I couldn't find the Tahiti pearl market whilst visiting last year.

The original location was downtown Honolulu on Bishop Street. In January this year, they opened in Waikiki Shopping Plaza 2250 Kalakaua Avenue suite #514. Kalakaua is the main street along Waikiki Beach.

In May, they opened Margo Tahitian Pearl right below the Hyatt Regency, on Kalakaua. It is directly across the police sub station in Waikiki or the Duke Kahanamoku statue. I believe Margo is higher-end. But both have loose pearls and ready-made strands, pendants, etc.

Everything from Bishop store has been moved to 2 new locations, closer to tourist foot traffic, and still easily accessible to locals, especially the Waikiki Shopping Plaza.

Stunning - and so very interesting to get your perspective on the pastel colored pearls in the context of the darker hues. Thank you so much for sharing the photos!

I am a huge fan of the pastel colors and notice that we really don't see as many in the popular depictions of Tahitian jewelry. On color, I am curious how much blue you really see in the pearls which are photographed against the white envelope? Since the blue tinge shows in the white balance of the photograph, I assume that it's also influencing how the pearls read. Or is my assuming making an a _ _ out of me, as my grandma would say? Quite possible, of course. ;-)

The blue is blue, especially the first blue and pink pendant. When I have time this weekend, will try to take pic with something blue next to it for comparison. I also have a pendant and earring set in blue-green from Jeremy's "loot pearl". They are in my profile album. Blue tahitian is hard to find, I believe.

I picked some more multicolor pastel pearls to make a necklace with ribbon. The split rings at the end allow me to remove the ribbon and connect to gold chain to make a "different" necklace. At certain angles, some pearls have lavender iridescence. These are 9-10+mm.

Note: None of these pictures have been photoshopped. That is why the background is slightly blue instead of the white envelope background.

I love all pearls that you are showing but this one is so nice!!!! I'd like a bracelet like that- it would be so pretty!

I love all pearls that you are showing but this one is so nice!!!! I'd like a bracelet like that- it would be so pretty!

Thanks. This is a stretch bracelet displayed in the store. When I saw it, I decided to pick loose pearls to make myself a similar one, but interchangeable to a necklace using split rings at the end. I measured the length of the pearl line up in the store to be sure it would fit, but also had a senior moment and miscalculation. When I came home it turned out the bracelet was too large for my wrist. I would have to remove 1 pearl, but could not decide which one to part with. So it became a ribbon necklace, interchangeable to partial gold chain necklace.

I could have bought that bracelet on display and asked them to remove some pearls to fit my wrist. But it was fun to pick my own pearls from the boxes, then arranged them in a row to be sure they flowed together nicely (according to my eyes). I found some unusual shapes and colors from that box, put them aside, but unfortunately they diddn't compliment the other pearls. So they went back to the box, but some of them had really cute shapes and hard-to-describe colors.

Attachments

• IMG_4624_1.jpg
    IMG_4624_1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
As promised, first picture is with flash, no adjustment done. Second is macro, no flash, auto white-balance, no adjustment. Both with a reference blue subject for comparison and taken indoor near window source. I am mostly a point-and-shoot person and too lazy to customize white-balance mode.

Attachments

• IMG_4673 w flash.jpg
    IMG_4673 w flash.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4675_1.jpg
    IMG_4675_1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 42
The first drop pearl at the bottom looks so yummy in the No.1 picture that I can't help trying a bite!
Thanks for your generosity & effort to share them here.

Hanaleimon,

What a great way to start a busy day with lovely pictures of beautiful pearl goodness. Thank you for sharing!

Cheers
Ash

Last edited:
This is off-topic. Pirates of the Caribbean part 4 was being filmed on Kauai when we were there. We'll find out if they'll keep this scene (taken by my son).

Attachments

• DSCN1167_1.jpg
    DSCN1167_1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Anne Heche and Harrison Ford landed here in "Six Days Seven Nights"...and the latest weather report from Kauai.

Attachments

• IMG_4496_1.JPG
    IMG_4496_1.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4380trim.jpg
    IMG_4380trim.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 38
love the pictures!!! love, love, love all the colors. how I would love to get there one day.....

Back