My Memorial Day Necklace

Love it! They look gorgeous on you, love the extra length too.

A really beautiful tin cup necklace, JerseyPearl. Such neat wiring. When I use gold wire instead of gold filled, I have so much waste as I never seem to cut the wire perfectly. I either cut a piece too short or too long, and I have then wasted an awful lot of gold. If I ever get to go to Ruckus, I know I will bankrupt us!

Thanks Tucs, Hanadama, and Luvglitz!

Generally, I find that if I measure out the gold wire to 5 times the length of the drill hole, that's usually long enough. You can test the length you will need fairly easily. Get some craft wire in the same gauge and wrap your pearl. Make sure you take measurements before you wrap! Then when you want to use 14k, you just consult your measurements. I do like to keep a tad extra length to make a nice smooth cut. After I clip, I tuck and gently squeeze the coils to even them out. I find I get much neater wraps using this method. And I know everyone knows this, but safety is always worth repeating...wear your safety goggles when you snip! Those little bits of wire can go flying right into your eyes. And do save your scraps of 14k, you can sell them.

Luvglitz - I am hesitant to use 14k wires for the same reason - not only because of leftovers, but also because I like to rework my pieces all the time.

Question for you ladies - sounds like you nip of just the length for each separate pearl, as in you have a stack of say inch -inch and a half segments of wires before you start? I usually cut off a long segment (maybe up to a foot?) of sterling wire at a time, and wrap through a number of pearls, so I am only "wasting" the 1st and last bits if that makes sense.

BTW, I'm curious how to do the tuck method? I usually just nip and that's it cuz I don't even know how to "tuck". Someone please explain and thanks in advance!

When I first started, I did cut lengths because it was easier to work with short bits of wire than longer ones...now I just make my loops on the coil of wire. To tuck, I take my straight nose (needle nose) pliers and just gently push in the end snipped wire to align up with the coils. It will neatly tuck up under the last coil. Don't squeeze too hard, or else you will ruin your coil. Slow hands with gentle pressure is all you need.

Ah I see - thank you JP! Haha I have not tucked my wire-wraps so far, will have to try it next time.

BTW, I know there are many awesome outlets in Jersey, which we sadly don't have in the city. But Theory do have good sample sales here, not sure if you are interested - they just had one in Chelsea Market 2 weeks ago!

Thanks for the tip! I know about the Chelsea market sample sales...bought a couple of Yurman pieces last summer during one of their sales. I try not to buy clothing in the City...we don't pay sales tax on clothing or shoes here in NJ. The Theory outlet here is really large and has a nice selection...I try to be good and focus on the 80% off racks. But even their new stuff is usually at 40%, and unlike some other retailers, their stuff isn't made specifically for the outlet.

I'm a bit late to this thread JP-- your strand is stunning!! Love everything about it and am so impressed that you can do this yourself. Well done!!

I love this! It's so gorgeous. I've been hesitant to try 14k wire because of waste concerns, but you're encouraging me...

Thanks for the compliments! Start with a small piece, and work your way up...remember to keep your "waste" because you can always sell your scrap (and therefore, it isn't really a complete waste...hopefully you learn while using that particular piece of metal, so you've also "gained")

JP, where did you buy your tools from? I need a set of various pliers and cutters and was wondering if you have any suggestions? Are there any particular brands you recommend?

Back