My Grandmother's Pearls

spicyce

Very curious as to the value of these pearls. My Grandmother lived in Japan during the occupation and I believe this is where they come from. IMG_0642[1].jpgIMG_0643[1].jpgIMG_0644[1].jpgIMG_0645[1].jpg

We generally recommend that people do a search on eBay for completed listings (or better yet, sold items) to see what these strands are bringing. The Mikimoto branded ones bring a lot more than the generic strands.

Here is one such search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_S...itation+-glass+-mikimoto&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15

I used these terms to limit the results: "graduated (pearl,pearls) -faux -imitation -glass -mikimoto" and the results are for sold items only, US only, lowest to highest price. You can change the parameters if you like or use other search terms.

IMG_0657[1].jpgIMG_0656[1].jpgIMG_0655[1].jpg

Here are a few more in focus pictures, how do I tell if they are generic or mikimoto?

Provenance is key. If they were Mikimotos, they would have an authentic Miki clasp with the Mikimoto trademark and you would hopefully have paperwork indicating that you had Mikis. Failing that you may assume they are not Mikimoto.

Also, just FYI, Mikimoto clasps are counterfeited, and it is not unknown for Miki clasps to be strung onto non-Miki pearls as sellers try to make more money, so this is why documents matter.

We get a number of people coming to the forum with graduated strands of this sort which belonged to grandparents, although the size range for the pearls is usually a little larger. Graduated strands were sold in Japan in WWII and Korean War era, and servicemen brought them home. They were more affordable because pearls are sold by weight and graduating the strand means the strand weighs less.

If you feel any attachment to them, have you considered cleaning and restringing them? Use a mild soapy water solution (not detergent) wiping each pearl with a soft microfiber cloth, and you may see they are more lovely than you expected. I have a restringing tutorial stickied on the Lowly Beaders Club forum-- it isn't hard.

Last edited:
well, thank you for your thoughtful responses, unfortunately, my Grandmother and I were not close, she was a difficult woman and I had no real relationship with her, so no, they do not hold sentimental value for me. I will offer them to my son's wife, she might find them appealing.

Sounds like a good solution-- and do send here here if she wants to restring them.

Back