my first trip to shanghai

ndmro

Greetings, my first post and first trip to Shanghai. Thanks to everyone who participates in the forums. I have read previous threads and have learned much, but would still like the latest and greatest advice on where to buy (e.g. Ling Ling) in Shanghai for freshwater pearls. Zhuji is an option but may be too adventurous for a newbie. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.:)

Go to Hongqiao Pearl City - not just for pearls, but the pearl traders there are much better set out and more accessible than in Nanjing Rd or Yu Gardens - major traders are there, but just keep looking around and negotiate everything! Also, if there is something special you want - ask - they may have it but just "not on display"... there are probably 50 or more vendors (maybe 80?) so be prepared to be there for a while.

Wouldn't consider Zhuji until you feel comfortable with your negotiating skills and also prices won't be much lower unless you are buying large quantities.

Maybe helpful, maybe not.....

Maybe helpful, maybe not.....

I've only been in Shanghai a few weeks but a friend introduced me to Kitty at the the pearl market in Yu Gardens.
Kitty is very sweet and gives a good price without much barter.

I know Nerdia said Yu Gardens was not so good but it's the only place I know so far. All I have bought are very inexpensive
and fun items (see my album for examples) and I don't know anything about pearls yet but if you have time after visiting
Hongqiao and want to visit Yu Gardens here is the info:

kitty.jpg

--Gina

first trip to shanghai

first trip to shanghai

thanks Gina! the map was especially helpful to a newbie like me. I will definitely take a look at your album.

I just found this ad for the Hongqiao Market. Is this the one you will be visiting?

HongqiaoPearlMarket.jpg

Yes, I have three wonderful days set aside to look and learn and hopefully buy! Thanks again...! Maps and addresses are a big help. Thanks for sharing.

Yu yuan is good, just that I think Hongqiao is set out better, and probably more user-friendly. Ling ling is at Nanjing Road (558 EAST Nanjing Road) and at Hongqiao, same as Daxi Pearls and RuPeiPei. There are many many good smaller traders at all three places, but do look around before you buy too much! There were definitely more tourists at Hongqiao though - and a few westerners who seemed to know what they were doing. I also bought some sterling silver findings from one of the traders there. Good luck!

Daxi are there - shop 2023. I did buy some things there last week.

Hi again - thought I would post these pics of the Hongqiao market pearl floor - I was there for 7 hours on one day - wish I had had a second day to visit!
China & Pearls 002.jpg

There are 3 main aisles like this in the main section of the floor - then it goes around the corner a bit too! More "major" traders are around the perimeter in more permanent/high end looking shops. Each of these stalls looks like this - remember that all the cupboards and under the countertops are jam-packed with MORE PEARLS!
China & Pearls 001.jpg

You definitely need as much time as you can possibly get! Most of the businesses have at least a few staff members with reasonable English - sometimes better, sometimes worse, but for the most part, you can manage to buy here quite comfortably without any need to speak Mandarin. Hopefully some more of the forum members may get the opportunity to visit sometime.

PS Apologies to GemGeek and Octavia - I'm no photojournalist!

Thanks for posting these pictures, Nerida! They are good! This looks so similar to the Beijing HongQiao Pearl Market - in fact, from the photos I am sure it could be mistaken for the Beijing one! Except it looks a bit newer and maybe more spacious - not sure!
Thanks! ;)

What a pleasant place to shop--I could do some serious damage there! Be sure to take wheeled shopping case for carrying purchases, those pearls are HEAVY!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I'm no photojournalist!

Well, you just became one! The value of your photos for daydreamers and people planning to go there is unmatched anywhere else. I look forward the next chapter!

Ladies you are all too kind! Pattye, I did do some serious damage - also some good business purchases.. downstairs on the lower floor is even more floor space covered with regular market-type things - luggage, fake handbags, clothing, chinese silks etc - so you can buy your own wheely shopping case! I ducked downstairs for the last hour to pick up a few bits and pieces for my kids, and a few accessories for myself. Upstairs is another floor of ?? who knows - didn't get time to get up there - maybe jade and porcelain and such - not really sure. It is definitely (as Raisondetre said earlier) an easier market to get around than some others in Shanghai.

Nerida, just interested in which vendor you got the bigger pearls from. The one I bought from was nice enough but didn't know enough about the more unusual pearls, not even regular bead nukes. I am going to Suzhou later in the year, but just to be sure I want to find someone more accessible in case I don't make it all the way there. I'm so excited!

Just back from Guangzhou. Got a few button pearl rings with some really unusual colors and great luster. Pictures to follow soon.

Strangely, some of my nicer pearls I bought from Rupeipei - interesting given that both of us have reviously had some negative experiences there. This time I found them both helpful, and obliging on price. There was another trader there at Fusion - near Rupeipei's stand who had some interesting things... she was pretty cool! I will go again after the Olympics - just too much hassle at the moment, but will probably go in late Sept or early October - pm me if you think our timing might coincide.

Back