My First Knotting Attempt

CatMom

I bought some inexpensive FW natural whites and took the plunge. Not too terribly bad for a first attempt. The biggest issue I had was the size of the holes. It was tricky to do the double thread method, especially through the last 4 pearls. Next time I will also cut down on the size of the gimp. I think 1/2 inch is too large. I have more pearls coming. I hope they have bigger holes, lol.

1689027832041.png

1689027866565.png

1689027914549.png

I think that's a great first go! I always feel so accomplished after completing a strand.

Very nice!
What size needle did you use? It can be harder to get through the last 4 pearls if one uses a Medium size needle; I prefer Fine.
I agree, a 1/2" piece of gimp can be too long. I tend to use about 1/4", if the gimp is very flexible. I find vermeil and sterling silver gimp more flexible than the more common base metal gimp.

I knew you’d be a pro, CatMom! I agree about the last three pearls. I tend to not want to make the holes any larger in case I want to rearrange and such, so it sometimes does make the end pearls more of a challenge.

Thanks lary007 and jeg! I was feeling quite accomplished, lol. I can see why you wouldn't want to make the last holes larger, especially if you redo your pearls a lot.

Very nice!
What size needle did you use? It can be harder to get through the last 4 pearls if one uses a Medium size needle; I prefer Fine.
I agree, a 1/2" piece of gimp can be too long. I tend to use about 1/4", if the gimp is very flexible. I find vermeil and sterling silver gimp more flexible than the more common base metal gimp.
Thanks! I am away from home right now and didn't have Pattye's starter kit with me so I used a #2 silk that had the needle attached. I used a fine sterling silver gimp and it was very flexible but the 1/2 suggested in the video I was using is just too long. I will try 1/4 in in the future.

Nice necklace! Kudos!

Back