Multiples

V

Valeria101

Does anyone care for multiple strands anymore?

Here's an interesting triple strand:

on Vivienne Westwood

06m.jpg

Dame Vivienne is my daughter's fashion icon and idol but I cannot get her to wear pearls. Dame V's pearl jewellery as in her shops is made from fake pearls, much to my disappointment.
She wears lots of pearls herself. Wonder if they are real or not?
I've not sold a triple for ages. INdeed thinking of taking apart the couple I have still in stock. I found that customers only wanted to pay the same as for a single strand.....

I wonder if there is a way of easing them (your customers) in? I really enjoy multiple strands...but got to that point by wearing ropes and wrapping them around and by wearing lighter multiple strands like my little Biwas layered with tiny gem strands.

Love Dame Vivienne - I've long been a fan.

Yes.
I wear double and triple strands; also wear them joined as long ropes, too.
And, like Heidi, I wear ropes wrapped around and around.... :)

I really like the double and triple-strand look- I have a fantastic convertible rope that I wear all the time.

I do think that the multiple layer look is making a bit of a comeback in the fashion scene, but it seems to be more concentrated on multiple ropes instead of the traditional 16/17/18-inch or longer pieces. I know I've noticed Sarah Jessica Parker (pearl diva!), Ashley Simpson and Kathleen Heigle all sporting this look quite recently.

I shall make myself a double strand with existing black and white strands, just waiting for the clasp and findings to arrive :)

I am also considering purchasing a double strand of gem quality CFWP soon :)

I would like to add a double strand of CFWP ropes to my collection eventually, hopefully 8-9mm AAA or gem quality if I can afford it.

Not sure if I would stretch to triple-strands though :confused:

DK :)

I like multiples when the pearls are small, like my white Biwas that I got nearly 30 years ago. They don't have enough visual impact as a single strand, really (at least not for a mature lady; perhaps for a young girl.)

I'm wondering if that is a rope Dame V has on?? I have seen Kenneth Jay Lane show on TV how "society" pulls the longest strand on a 3-strand under and up over the other 2 strands to give a casual, "just threw these little pearls on at the last minute" look.

Must say, I prefer the ropes, with the versatility, stackability and all! Plus I never go to anything formal, so there we are!

If you look closely, I think you'll find this is four strands, unusual to have an even number in design, but the random stations allow for the four strand cluster to give it some interest.

I love multiple strands! And I've been seeing them on more an more people. Have you seen the South Sea Double strand that Michelle Obama wears? Cindy McCain has been wearing several different multiple strands too!

Pearls are the Power piece of jewelry to have.

Pearls are the Power piece of jewelry to have.

I believe it is the visual impact of pearls and affordability that makes them power piece of jewellery of choice.

For instance, to me, a 14mm pearl pendant has a greater visual impact than a 1ct diamond pendant of around 6.5mm, and can cost significantly less.

Significant fine jewellery involving diamonds and/or the 3 major gemstones cost mega money, 20k does not go very far in the world of diamonds and fine gems.

However, 20k will get you a whopper strand of baroque South Seas!

One thing I am not keen on, is mega size pearl rings, as I have small hands, and they look wrong on me. 12mm is about the biggest I can wear.

Hi Knotty, four strands is indeed unusual - but it is Dame Vivienne!

I sell lots of long ropes (and always suggest a clasp) but I meant formal three strands on one clasp necklaces are not selling.

Yes! I'd love a triple strand on one clasp. But I'm debating between a smaller size (7-8mm) triple strand FW or a larger size (10mm +) FW.

Funny- I was just thinking about this today while watching the Sound of Music with my 3-year old...Baroness Schrader wears a triple strand...but I cannot tell if it's made of baroque or round pearls? The individual strands are not spaced closely one atop the other as one would normally think of...might really work for baroques... Anyway, she's selling me on the triple strand.

triple

triple

In the movie Sex and the City, I remember vaguely that the real estate agent wore a triple white strand. Definitely lots of visual impact there. She wore a white suit and the pearls look round to me, if memory serves. I could not tell whether they were FW or SS.

So, how about the girls on Lipstick Jungle? Some of the most fabulous stylish jewelry. Nico wore a double strand of fairly large pearls at about an 18" and 24" length to her husband's funeral. All of the pearls have been pretty large. Victory's very large pearl drop earrings in the first season were magnificent, especially on her. I'm seeing and selling a lot more longer strands and in multiple lengths. Chocolates and silvers has been popular this fall.

I believe it is the visual impact of pearls and affordability that makes them power piece of jewellery of choice.
Significant fine jewellery involving diamonds and/or the 3 major gemstones cost mega money, 20k does not go very far in the world of diamonds and fine gems.

And no other gem comes close in terms of sheer visual acreage. A hefty diamond pendant on a chain is tiny compared to the 50+ 8mm gleaming moons you'd find on a pearl necklace of the same length.

And no other gem comes close in terms of sheer visual acreage. A hefty diamond pendant on a chain is tiny compared to the 50+ 8mm gleaming moons you'd find on a pearl necklace of the same length.

Agree :D

However, I would love a big Diamond/Aquamarine/Ruby Heart pendant in a diamond halo if money is no object ;)

My double strand clasp and silk have arrived, and shall re-string my black and white Akoyas into a double this weekend if all goes according to plan :)

I sold the first multiple strand (as a formal double strand) for ages yesterday - to a girl with a tiny frame, but a very long neck - looked fantastic! Big lavender pink baroque FW's...

I haven't had any customers asking for triple strands lately - double strands, yes. And of course, rope lengths that can be worn however they feel that day!

Back