multicolor tahitians

Bailey1856

Hello everyone! I really really like baroque multicolor tahitians (in addition to golden ssps) so I've inquired at a local jewelry store and they can get a strand of loose ones for me. I've attached a picture which shows the price of $1800 US. So before i decide to have this delivered at the store, I'd like expert's opinion on the price and if they truly look like real tahitians. I was told they were natural. I still have to inquire for the grade and a hand shot picture. Thank you. They are 9-11mm size.
icm_fullxfull.42347978_dtwya3crrf4804o00wwg.jpg

Last edited:
If I were you I would shop a bit further and compare

Hi Bailey,
That is a lovely clean strand of Tahitians. (I am also a fan of baroque multicolors :) ) The price seems reasonable for a store. I would advise checking out some of our member vendors before making your final decision including a phone call to Pearl Paradise (as they have many more strands in stock than shown on the website).

the luster is very nice, the pearls is okay, since the pearls are small, still expensive

i've negotiated the price down to $675 US, is that more reasonable? I'm just wondering if it makes sense to have a starting price of $1800 and a discounted price of $675, is that too good to be true?

As a rule, real shops have higher prices. They have to pay the rent and keep stock that can be hard to move. In regards to pearls, the difference is often even bigger as you have to buy large quantaties to get a decent price.

When this shop offers you a strand of pearls, they have bought it from someone who has bought it from someone. There light even be a third man in the link. If you buy from on-line stores such as Pearl Paradise, you buy from someone who went to Hong Kong to buy directly, leaving out one or two links in the chain. This is reflected in the price. And if you deal with the people who go to Hong Kong themselves you can even make special orders.

The strand in the picture is not what is truely named 'natural'. That term is reserved for wild pearls that are created without any interference from man. What you are showing us is a strand of real pearls contrary to fake pearls. As the others suggest I think you should do some shopping around. The price tag on the shown strand seems high compared to what people at this forum is used to paying.

Add to the links in the posts here http://www.tahitianpearls.biz for some of the lowest prices around and http://kamokapearls.com for some of the best pearls from a single farm, single person sustainable production.

Have fun! :)

- Karin

I've looked at PPs site and just assumed they don't carry multicolor (silly me) since they are only showing darker colors. i will check them out.

I've looked at tahitianpearls.biz but he doesn't seem to be getting my messages.

Hi Bailey, welcome to the Forum! :)

I personally love that necklace- it's gorgeous and I would put it on my site in a heartbeat. Beautiful colors (and I am a sucker for great color) done in an artistic layout with a center section that packs a lot of punch. :)

I do kind of feel bad for the jeweler who is holding it- that steep of a discount indicates that he's been hanging on to it for awhile- do you know if they sell a lot of pearls?

I really do love the colors of the strand too. It's exactly what i'm looking for for a baroque multicolor strand. I didn't even realized he sent me pictures of two different strands. The other one is as lovely as the other, i'm having a hard time picking. I've not seen many tahitians in person so i'm wondering if you can give me an opinion on these two strands as I'm sure you've seen lots of these.
2037.jpg the other one
icm_fullxfull.42347978_dtwya3crrf4804o00wwg.jpg same one from above, i think has more of the colors i'm looking for.

I've decided to get the top one :) I love the shapes and the intensity of the colors. It seems like every single pearl stands out as opposed to blending in with the next one.

Both appear to have good luster and nice variety of body and overtone colors.

I am partial to the strand with smaller pearls because (1) there seem to be less blemishes (rings); (2) the elongation of the drop isn't highly pronounced, and (3) the pearls are well-matched (by shape, at least).

Make sure the store has a good return policy, in case you don't get the pearls as pictured.

They are a wholesaler, good reputation, no complaints on BBB, and solid return policy.

Both appear to have good luster and nice variety of body and overtone colors.

I am partial to the strand with smaller pearls because (1) there seem to be less blemishes (rings); (2) the elongation of the drop isn't highly pronounced, and (3) the pearls are well-matched (by shape, at least).

Make sure the store has a good return policy, in case you don't get the pearls as pictured.

Hi, i've thought of those points too but i find the top one interesting and different...maybe i should order both and pick which strand in person...

I think that the price is pretty good. I'm certainly not the expert but I've looked at a lot of strands that didn't look this good and cost as much. They do seem to have a lovely luster and the colours are beautiful. (Keeping in mind that photos and real life can be a bit different). Certainly looks like they are worth looking at...I too like the shape of the original strand. That fat little drop shape appeals to me... but they are both very nice. (the original price was ridiculous)

I like the top one best, too. Fortunately, there is something for everyone out there in the pearl world! :)

I would consider both strands to be of good value for under 700 USD a piece myself.

I prefer the strand with the rounder and less elongated shape myself.

However, I would not part with my money as I am not a fan of multicolour strands.

DK :)

Hello everybody, i asked for a picture of the pearls side by side as I had trouble selecting which one. They are both AAA.
icm_fullxfull.42548341_b512bcobd14w4484k80s.jpg
I decided to get the the left one :) I initially thought the right strand has more contrast but now sided by side i find the only major difference is the shape.

I will take pictures when it arrives.

Last edited:
Back