Multi-Strand (3 or more) Necklace Challenge!

Cecilia,

I'm planning to start with the top row. that way I can make sure the length is correct, and adjust the additional strands before they are finished off, depending if one wants them more layered or all the same length. Yes, if I understand correctly, it is a bit awkward but that's how I've done doubles before. I've also used a little organza bag (Marianne's idea) to hold the finished part together as I'm working. I'm hoping I answered your question. On Imanit's necklace, I think there are some loops inside the bar to tie onto. Imanit, could you please give more information about the clasp and how you attached the strands?

Last edited:
Here's my project!

Such a good challenge - inspired me to try to think up something I wanted, and make it.

IMG_6232.jpg
I used lapis lazuli chips, coral branches, and 5-5.5 button pearls (from Stachura!) I knotted the pearl strand on power pro and simply strung the others. I love, love these colors together. Separately, too, but especially together. From the beginning I was set on weaving the strands together (rather than making a torsade), to emphasize the jagged quality of the elements, and break up the chunks of color.

IMG_6236.jpg
I used these cones to channel the 3 three strands, stringing each one at a time through the gimp (which taxed its capacities). The lobster claw clasp is just one I had on hand, sold at some jewelry store as a set when I was stuck finding something to use up store credit. The ring is too big - what kind of set is that? Eh. I don't have another one so it works.
IMG_6233.jpg

I had issues arranging the clasp neatly because originally there were 4 strands, one woven leather cord, which I ended up giving up on because it wouldn't braid in with the others the way I hoped. So I had to do some damage control after cutting it out, making extra knots and re-wrapping some unwound gimp to hide the visible strings/knots. Secretly a mess! Well, I hope more or less secretly.

IMG_6234.jpg
IMG_6235.jpg

Just shy of 18" including the clasp but the bulk makes it play like 16"

With the coral and the pearls together it seems like the necklace of a sea nymph! So, yes. Feel like a sea nymph. Let's call it The Nereid.

Good to wear with anything that goes with any of these colors...ideally something plain, no pattern, no collar, so it can stand out. Honestly I just finished so it hasn't been out much yet, but I know just how I want to wear it.

Last edited:
TheSS,

Your necklace is such a interesting combination of materials, and you explained it very well! Love the name too! Clearly, Strachura can be a good source for pearls; those are lustrous! I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose to wear with! And the neck shot! thank you very much for participating!

Thank you for giving the Challenge a boost~come on everyone, we have to get busy! Deadline is Sept 1 to receive a prize, but of course, pictures, discussion and tips are always great additions, long after.

Yes, I agree that it's a beautiful and fun color combination. If there was any mess, it's now hidden, so great job! :)

Thanks Pattye!

Clearly, Strachura can be a good source for pearls; those are lustrous!

Yes! I was pleased with the quality and the price (especially on the semi-precious stones!). I made sure to get extra so I would have the freedom to toss any duds.

In a mood to make something else now!

Oooh I just saw this, I'm game! Do tin cups qualify, or do entries need to be knotted?

Thanks!

oh that is just gorgeous! i don't think it would have occurred to me to mix those colors - but now that you have, i love it! the color/texture combo is indeed awesome. way to go!

i have my three-strand all planned out, i just gotta execute now. yep.

battah, i don't believe knotting is required.

oh that is just gorgeous! i don't think it would have occurred to me to mix those colors - but now that you have, i love it! the color/texture combo is indeed awesome. way to go!

i have my three-strand all planned out, i just gotta execute now. yep.

battah, i don't believe knotting is required.

Thanks juliebeth! I am obsessed with texture - spot on with that observation. Isn't the planning a huge part of the appeal of the making? It definitely is for me.

Battah and all,

Here's the rules again:
It's been awhile~time to challenge ourselves, ok? Let's hope we get some takers! Make a multi-strand necklace, 3 or more strands! Give the details and show photos here. A great chance to ask questions about the process and share awesome successes! EVERYBODY WHO PARTICIPATES WINS A PRIZE!

1. The necklace must contain pearls, but can also include other gemstones, beads, or similar items, can be recycled beads, etc. Any questions, please ask, this should be fun!
2. Must be three (3) strands or more. (Long ropes don't count for this challenge, lol)
3. Necklace can be on wire or knotted or wire wrapped, but does not have to be knotted.
4. Include in your post(s) design challenges, choosing a clasp, choosing stringing material, tools used.
5. How does it feel when you wear it?
6. What do others say who see it? Compliments?
7. Is it versatile, what do you wear it with?
8. Give it a NAME worthy of your work!

I've been wanting to make some torsades, but keep putting it off, so this helps push me also!

Looking forward to more fun torsades and three-stranders, or more! Number 4 is important, because it helps others understand the process and challenges!

OK thanks! I'll get to work :)

Here we go! A three-strand with lavender and white with lavender undertone keshis on sterling silver (with a plated silver clasp, since I didn't want to wait on an order). I've bee having fun with tin cup necklaces and wanted to do a 3-strand, but this is my first time using a clasp that's intended to be for multiple strands. I usually just attach the strands to a jump ring and to my clasp, but for a 3-strand I thought the clasp should space the chains out a bit to get them to lay better.

It was a bit tricky getting the strands to the ring lengths so they'd be spaced nicely but not be too long. Also challenging to space the pearls out. I just got a new multistrand bead board, so that helped. I still think maybe I need to add another pearl to the middle of the center strand. Thoughts?

I haven't worn it out yet, I only put it on for the photo. It still needs some work, I think.

Hmm, a name. I'll have to think about that one. But I like it - keshis are my favorite pearls by far, and I love multi-layered tin cups.

IMG_20130816_210749.jpgIMG_20130817_145229.jpgIMG_20130817_145257.jpgIMG_20130817_145318.jpg

Very pretty! I think you could safely add a smaller pearl to the center of the middle strand. That is the great thing about making your own; you can always change it up a bit :)

Thanks, ladies! The more I look at it, the more I agree I need another pearl in the center. I was afraid if I had center pearls on all 3 strands they'd hang together and look funny, but I think they're spaced far enough apart here that it will work.

I wish I could get better pics of the pearls! Their luster is fabulous.

Marianne, you're right! I'm always fiddling with my own pieces. It's almost a relief to just make something then set it aside to sell - with my own pieces I'm constantly fiddling with them, changing something here, tweaking something there... I consider it scholarly research LOL.

Lema, I was just drooling at you necklaces in the etsy shop. Beautiful things, I only need to decide upon one I like most :)
Would you custom make, in case I cannot decide pon one favourite? ;)

Thank you for saying that, Dizzie, you're sweet! I'll PM you :)

Back