Mother's Pearls Please Help Identify

Jules_N

Hello all,
I'm a new member who loves pearls, and was thrilled when my Father gave me my Mother's strand.
He was in Japan in the 1950s, and told me he bought these for his new bride. He believes they were from Mikimoto, but I cannot find a clasp from Mikimoto which would look similar to the clasp on my pearls.
They are 24" long, pass the grittiness test, and look almost pink in some light.
They are beautiful, with lovely luster. I would love to know more about them if possible. IMG_0459.jpgIMG_0458.jpg

Hi Jules_N-- welcome to Pearl Guide!

I think one of our members has a Miki necklace with a clasp like that...calling BWeaves...

I'm going hunting for the photo I've seen on here with a similar clasp.

Yup! Those look like the Blue Lagoon pearls from my Aunt Love. Blue Lagoon was one of Mikimoto's less expensive lines. However, even Miki's less expensive pearls are much nicer than most mall jewelery store pearls.

Enjoy! You have a beautiful strand of pearls. The clasp is the older style of Blue Lagoon clasp. I think they've changed the style of clasp on the newer pearls.

A strand of pearls from the time you indicate would have been graduated and not uniform like these. They are beautiful pearls.

I agree, that a strand from the 1950's would have been graduated. Since these are very even in size, and look exactly like my Aunt Love's strand, down to the style of clasp, I'd say these pearls were from the 1980s or 90s.

It sounds like maybe Jules' mother had several strands, and the father forgot which one this was.

Back