Momme weight/MM size guide

teeuk

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any kind soul out there might have a Momme weight guide for SSP's above 10mm at all?
I would be real grateful if anyone has something to hand..any takers???
Thanks a lot.

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any kind soul out there might have a Momme weight guide for SSP's above 10mm at all?
I would be real grateful if anyone has something to hand..any takers???
Thanks a lot.

Its the same as it is for pearls under 10mm. 3.75 grams per momme. Maybe I am missing something.

Momme weight/MM size ratio

Momme weight/MM size ratio

I guess I should have put it in another way;its the mm to momme ratio comparison I'm looking for,so for example a 9.5/10mm nucleated pearl is equal to about 2.7 pieces per Momme.
So I'm looking for relative Momme weights per millimetre -or half millimetre size above this.
Thanks.

I'm not sure if that is available in a chart but I could be wrong. I'm curious though, why do you want this information?

I can tell you that weight and quantity do not always correlate exactly. So I sort of doubt if there is such an accurate scale available. Atleast not one that could be used with any sort of commercial accuracy. IMHO

I am curious also.

Last edited:
Just to answer the last two, when lots are offered, the average momme weight of the lot will tell you the average size of the lot. The higher the momme, the better the lot if all other factors are equal. The average momme does correlate to the average size of the lot.

For example, if you are buying an 8-11 mm Tahitian lot and you know the weight and number of pearls, you can determine the average breakdown of sizes. The lot will likely be offered in momme, so that average momme equals the average mm size of the lot.

I don't have a breakdown chart, but it shouldn't be difficult to put together.

I guess I misunderstood the post. But that wouldn't be the first time.:D I know the amount of nuclei for example per kilo of a given size will very slightly. I would assume that would carry through to pearls. So I was thinking that the number of pearls per momme of a given size wouldn't be hard and fast.

Last edited:
I had the same issue when bidding on pearl packages at the international pearl auctions in Kobe, Hong Kong and Bali. In a package of pearls that range in size from 11mm to 14mm how did I know what the average size is was so I can bid accordingly?

I came up with a simple formular by multiplying the number of pearls in each size division by that size division and adding all the totals together and dividing by the number of pearls.

Example of 133 pearls weighing 94.4 momme in the following size divsions:

48 x 11mm + 57 x 12mm + 18 x 13mm + 10 x 14mm = 1586 / 133

= 11.92mm average size weighing average momme of 94.4 / 133

I hope this simple explanation is useful.

About Momme each size,

8mm 0.20 to 0.27
9mm 0.28 to 0.37
10mm 0.39 to 0.50
11mm 0.51 to 0.66
12mm 0.67 to 0.84
13mm 0.85 to 1.00
14mm 1.00 to 1.29
15mm 1.31 to 1.58
16mm 1.59 to 1.89
17mm 1.91 to 2.25
18mm 2.26 to 2.65