Mix/match from different online retailers?

valleypeach

Hi all, I would love your advise on something. I am getting ready to take another pearl plunge (giddy, I know!). I have been reading up on the various online retailers for akoya here and elsewhere. The issue is this. I am leaning heavily toward PP for the strand, but i need a 20", and they seem to go from 18 to 22. I am hoping I can make a call to get the custom size. I really like the pure white, no overtones really, especially not the pink ones, for some reason the pictures are just super pink! I thought they should just be a hint of pink? Is the best approach there to just go with the natural (undyed) whites?
Second issue: i read on this site some posts from a few years back that virtually all akoyas smaller than 8mm are originating in china now, although they may be finished in japan. is this still true?
lastly, I found the earrings of my dreams at another online retailer, probably on par with PP as they have been around a while and there have been no complaints. But what are the chances a pair of earrings (4 8mm pearls total) from one vendor will match a strand well enough from PP? Am I setting myself up for disappointment, or would it be better to just order loose matching pearls from PP and find a way to have them made custom? Thanks for your help, you guys are awesome..Val

If you call Pearl Paradise, I am sure they will work with you to make all your pearly dreams come true :)

I can answer your last question. There are many, many shades of white. I know this because we spend much time staring at several hundred white AAA 8mm drops at a time and they are many different whites (as well as subtly different lustre, shape, size......
However, unless you are an uber-fussy perfectionist and have unusually humped shoulders very close to your ears there will be enough space between necklace and earrings to cope with a slight difference in white or lustre

You could also buy the earrings from the other vendor and send them to PP in order for them to try to match the shade in a necklace.

Most akoya strands are tinted pink, except the natural white. You can't avoid the natural overtones, but you can avoid the extra pink. The distance from your ears to your neck should eliminate any mismatched feel from the earrings. Personally, I would get earrings first to see how pink they are in person. Once they are against the skin, the pink almost disappears. Then you can make a decision on the necklace. PP will take good care of you.

I custom order the length of my necklaces at PP. They are super accommodating. If possible, I would buy the necklace and earring pearls simultaneously. I just had 9 pearls removed from a triple lavender strand and Hisano designed dangle earrings using three different shades of lavender in each earring. The three shades match each other earring to earring -- and blend perfectly with all the shades of lavender in my triple necklace and this matching (albeit within the large range of lavenders already in the necklace) makes me very happy. No lavender earrings I had before blended as perfectly with the original hues of lavender in the necklace. They were fine (too dark or too light or too grey or too pink, but fine) -- but now the lavenders are all within the same "family" and that makes me very satisfied. As Wendy says, there are a LOT of whites out there and if you can match them from the get-go, matching them won't become a project in your future taking up energy, time and money.

Keep us posted!

I custom order the length of my necklaces at PP. They are super accommodating. If possible, I would buy the necklace and earring pearls simultaneously. I just had 9 pearls removed from a triple lavender strand and Hisano designed dangle earrings using three different shades of lavender in each earring. The three shades match each other earring to earring -- and blend perfectly with all the shades of lavender in my triple necklace and this matching (albeit within the large range of lavenders already in the necklace) makes me very happy. No lavender earrings I had before blended as perfectly with the original hues of lavender in the necklace. They were fine (too dark or too light or too grey or too pink, but fine) -- but now the lavenders are all within the same "family" and that makes me very satisfied. As Wendy says, there are a LOT of whites out there and if you can match them from the get-go, matching them won't become a project in your future taking up energy, time and money.

Keep us posted!

Not to get off track from this thread, but please tell me there is a picture of this beauty somewhere here on PG that we can drool over! (Preferably with some neck and ear shots too :) )

maiakity -- I PMed you the link to the thread on this set on the "other" forum!

Pricescope has a policy that you can't post links to other forums, but P-G doesn't; I enjoyed the photos you posted on Pricescope, BAS-- why not post the link here?

Mix and match

Mix and match

Oh, I didn't know it was allowed. Valleypeach, I hope you don't mind the link in your thread.

Here you go!

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/pearls-new/pp-triple-lavender-revamped-t198670.html

I didn't mind at all, and in fact I peeked at those lavender beauties as well. Nicely done!

I am still undecided on my approach in getting the earrings from one vendor to match a strand from another. I do believe I will just try to come clean with PP, call them and TELL them the earrings I am looking at on the other site, and get their input. PP doesn't really offer much in the way of double drops anyway. Do you think they would be offended?

Also, did not hear from anyone on the question about all akoyas smaller than about 8mm originating from china, and just 'passing through' japan. Is this still true?
Thx so much!

This was true for a while, but Japan is slowly recovering. That said, a lot of akoya pearls do come from China. There is no way to tell them apart, as the pearls are pooled and separated by grade. Even Hanadama pearls may not be Japanese. :)

valleypeach PP will not be offended at all. I have worked with PP on several custom pieces and they have all turned out beautifully! If they don't have the findings that you are looking at, I am certain they can find it for you.

Back