Mississippi river pearls?

aerinha

Hi everyone,

A friend who knows I have been on the hunt for Mississippi River pearls sent me some pics of a strand we think might be some. I can tell they are dirty, but do they look like river pearls or are they imposters masquerading as something old?

Thank you

A21A3DD6-E14F-4D98-9E10-5D085E2B5AA3.jpgF648E1AC-2B4C-4596-B2BE-830E75578FD4.jpeg
3CF5A8CC-E9A4-47B3-B280-4372B34E77ED.jpg

certainly could be... Not many experts in that type of pearl - I'm certainly not one of them.

She sent me pics of the whole strand and clasp. Seller downplaying clasp as possibly gold filled with an onyx and sparkly stones which from this first pic I buy
7154F135-CE86-4047-AE09-799BE1A6014D.jpeg

But on this clasp close up it appears to be a dark sapphire and rose cut diamonds. The entire thing is also milgtained which makes me think silver topped gold. I am far from a pearl expert but I know antique jewelry and that is a nice clasp.
7D72377E-5424-4FF6-918B-1F0A2804CA0A.jpeg

That is a interesting strand, and I love the clasp. The clasp does look like it could be a lot nicer than advertised.

I'd buy it out of curiosity, price depending.

ETA: I have a hoard of Mississippi River Pearls and while it's difficult to tell from the photo, they certainly could be the real deal. Sellers photos leave a lot to be desired. Also the stone appears more like a blue spinel - I have a MRP brooch that has a very similar looking stone and it's a spinel.

I'd buy it out of curiosity, price depending.

ETA: I have a hoard of Mississippi River Pearls and while it's difficult to tell from the photo, they certainly could be the real deal. Sellers photos leave a lot to be desired. Also the stone appears more like a blue spinel - I have a MRP brooch that has a very similar looking stone and it's a spinel.

I did buy it. Once it arrives I will post better pics

Oh yes, please keep us posted. this is a facinating strand.

Thanks everyone. It ships Tuesday due to seller’s travel. I will post pics when it arrives.

I'm excited for you also, Aerinha! A very interesting, vintage strand with lovely clasp! About 10 years ago I purchased a double strand of Mississippi River pearls on ebay, as posted here on the forum. My pearls are still awaiting inspiration and a special clasp, as the original clasp had a glass stone that was broken, so not reusable.

I'm excited for you also, Aerinha! A very interesting, vintage strand with lovely clasp! About 10 years ago I purchased a double strand of Mississippi River pearls on ebay, as posted here on the forum. My pearls are still awaiting inspiration and a special clasp, as the original clasp had a glass stone that was broken, so not reusable.

Hi Pattye, was going to message you through Etsy, but this seems as good a spot as any. What color Beaders Secret thread do you think I should use once I clean them up? Cream or ivory? Not looking forward to knotting 169 pearls, but I think knots will showcase their unique shapes.

Good question, my pearls definitely look best with cream color thread, probably yours will also. The thinner thread, size #40 will be the best if your strand has small holes. My end pearls are so small I won't be able to double back, so probably will end with some gold beads. Like you, I prefer knotting between each pearl! Excited for you to receive your necklace!

Good question, my pearls definitely look best with cream color thread, probably yours will also. The thinner thread, size #40 will be the best if your strand has small holes. My end pearls are so small I won't be able to double back, so probably will end with some gold beads. Like you, I prefer knotting between each pearl! Excited for you to receive your necklace!

Thank you! I will probably get both the 40 and the 30 until I see as it can’t hurt to have extra around IMO. By the way the Golden strand I posted today was done with your gold BS thread. Worked perfect

They are here and lovely although in need of a clean and restring. The clasp has the bluest stone. Someone suggested spinel which I have never seen. At work so more pics later
33CAD879-5149-4689-B5FC-6A44F414803E.jpg
8A4B53DA-3FB0-4583-92B5-2D63618DF580.jpg
2F4F5135-27EE-4558-BB05-CB9724C5985E.jpg

The blue stone is possibly sapphire. Note that synthetic sapphire has been around since the early 1900s, so this is a possibility. The color is a perfect sapphire blue.

Lovely pearls.

Probably not my best idea since I walked out of work to the 12volt in my hybrid half dead in a downpour and AAA 15 minutes wait being much longer but I cleaned and restrung this strand. Pics tomorrow, not in the mood tonight. Things I noticed while working on it:

It was strung with both rotting thread and fishing line. I suspect the fishing line added to sure it up later in its life.

Some are full bumpy baroque little pearls, others seem to be cracked bits of pearls where I can see the layers of nacre built on top of each other, meaning it was either made with pearl parts or the pearls broke during its life and the remains were left on the thread.

Clasp is unmarked but appears to be silver topped gold.

Back