Mississippi Pearls?

massrog

We just acquired a "river pearl" festoon necklace which was billed as made up of Mississippi pearls. They look like others I've read about here and elsewhere but the accompanying GIA report they are (at least partially) identified only as "Unionidae family". Is there a way to further narrow the possibilities? My wife loves the necklace but would like to know where the pearls come from if ay all possible. As usual any info/input would be appreciated!
Mississippi River Pearl necklace
Mississippi River Pearl necklace

Hi @massrog
Good to see you again!
Hmmm very hard to say if these are naturals unless taken for analysis. They look like natural freshwater pearls...but hard to say!
If your vendor is trustworthy: it could be the real deal.
The design is very nice and delicate. Feels right...but it all comes down to the vendor's reputation.

Hi @massrog
Good to see you again!
Hmmm very hard to say if these are naturals unless taken for analysis. They look like natural freshwater pearls...but hard to say!
If your vendor is trustworthy: it could be the real deal.
The design is very nice and delicate. Feels right...but it all comes down to the vendor's reputation.
Hello to you too! it's good to be seen lol. There were two pearls tested when it was sent in to GIA. They were the large one at the center of the central element and the larger one hanging down at upper right. I have done quite a bit of business with the vendor in the past and they are reputable dealers in vintage fine jewelry so I trust them in what they believe. I guess I would like to hear what the opinions on the feelings are based on the appearance of the rest. I suppose the only way to be sure would be to have the rest tested but they may not have been able to determine the rest while mounted?

Another question for the "fashionistas" is whether this would be too much as a "mother of the bride" piece?

Another question for the "fashionistas" is whether this would be too much as a "mother of the bride" piece?
I don't think so! It is a very tasteful piece. Will look great on her.

Hello to you too! it's good to be seen lol. There were two pearls tested when it was sent in to GIA. They were the large one at the center of the central element and the larger one hanging down at upper right. I have done quite a bit of business with the vendor in the past and they are reputable dealers in vintage fine jewelry so I trust them in what they believe. I guess I would like to hear what the opinions on the feelings are based on the appearance of the rest. I suppose the only way to be sure would be to have the rest tested but they may not have been able to determine the rest while mounted?
It's a good way to test. And the pearls do look like naturals.

What a lovely necklace. I'd totally wear that with jeans and a boho blouse. Or a simple linen top. Or a fancy dress. Just gorgeous. And not toooo much.

An exquisite necklace ~ I agree can be worn casual or dressy, and will be perfect for Mother of the Bride.

The GIA authentication and trust in the seller would be enough for me. This fascinating article about the American Pearl Rush (1893-1907) and how many pearls were found in the Mississippi River and its tributaries was new information for me.

One of our members, Pearl-Man, Norman Lange, has an extraordinary collection of Wisconsin freshwater pearls which have been examined by Elizabeth Strack and George Johnson, the author of the article noted above. Mr. Lange shared with some of us the WISCONSIN magazine of history, Spring 2012, in which this article was published.

An exquisite necklace ~ I agree can be worn casual or dressy, and will be perfect for Mother of the Bride.

The GIA authentication and trust in the seller would be enough for me. This fascinating article about the American Pearl Rush (1893-1907) and how many pearls were found in the Mississippi River and its tributaries was new information for me.

One of our members, Pearl-Man, Norman Lange, has an extraordinary collection of Wisconsin freshwater pearls which have been examined by Elizabeth Strack and George Johnson, the author of the article noted above. Mr. Lange shared with some of us the WISCONSIN magazine of history, Spring 2012, in which this article was published.
Thanks Pattye!! The seller tries to vet pieces as well as they can and we have purchased a few pieces with provenance from them in the past. Having some experienced folks comment positively has put her mind at ease so I appreciate your and everyone else's input!

Last edited:
Back