Miki's up for auction... Are they real?

Lizbarr

http://www.auctionzip.com/aflive.html?method=getLotInfo&lotref=DCBF2182A3&seq=1

Hope the link came through...
I'm deferring to the experts for an opinion. These Mikimoto pearls (and Heritage) are being auctioned on AuctionZip. Bidding so far seems reasonable to a novice such as myself, however there are only two photos. The Miki's have what appears to be the right clasp, but since it's turned on it's side, hard to tell. Can anyone lend a hand? I don't really think I would buy these (not ready, still learning) but I do hope to one day acquire a set of Mikimoto's for my own small collection. They would have to be vintage... (definitely can't afford new).

They certainly may be real. The strand as described it tiny, but they may be off on size, otherwise the necklace is very short too. It is probably for a child.

Member Pearl Dreams wrote about volume vs. diameter and I posted a photo on our blog about it. A 5 mm strand is really small -- Hisano loves to work with them though.

Thank Jeremy. Great info on pearl sizing. I don't mind the 5 mm size, but the length of the necklace is a concern. I mean, I love chokers... but I don't want to be choked! Anyway, as I said I'm really still researching...

You're welcome.

If the size is correct, it is definitely a choker. I'd estimate it to be about 15 inches.

I would also want to know if it is a 4.5-5 mm strand or a 5-5.5 mm strand. The same goes for the second strand.

I'd think if the auction house wanted to get the best price for these pearls they would put up larger photos and more of them. Can't tell much about these pearls at all, imo. Plus whatever they go for, a 23% buyers premium will be added, and likely tax, too.

Keep an eye out for Miki's with much better pics and more of them, plus original sales papers, especially if buying on line. Odds will be better you'll love what you receive.

Thanks Pattye... I thought that too regarding the picture. And not showing the clasp? Maybe they just don't know about pearls...haha, like I'm an expert (NOT!). I do know to look for markings however. These aren't the pearls for me. I have a strand from my mother - not Miki's - but very nice, more in the 6-7 mm range. I can wait and meanwhile it's fun to look and do the research.

Back