Mikimotos from JAL sky shop?

You mean Japan Airlines right?

They're likely genuine Mikimoto pearls, but you aren't getting the "good stuff" in the sky mall catalog.

Remember Mikimoto is a brand name, not a quality level. They sell fantastic pearls in their boutiques, but there's a range of qualities that come under the Mikimoto banner.

Im sure they are all genuine. And it's also quite possible that they are a good deal..the Tiffany key chain is almost exactly half price using AUD. Several other items are also very well priced. Mikimoto... this is most likely not their top stuff at that price (which is not to say they are not pretty - hard to tell from the photos) . I'd be shocked if they were not attractive with their name on them. They have saved money by using a plated clasp - silver with gold plate. Most of the clasps on their site are 18k with diamonds. Add the better grade of pearl and you have the price difference.

Whoever is putting together the sales pitch on a plane..you need to consider the cost of putting those pearls on a plane. Every plane in the fleet will have to have stock and the cost of flying it around is huge, plus the seat pouch catalogue. The on-costs are about as much as a bricks and mortar (I briefly looked into this as a proposition a few years ago).
(Don't look for decent pearls at Dubai airport either. I cringe when I see them.)

I'd love to buy some nice pearls. My wish are hanadama necklace, but problem is I live in EU and have to pay really high taxes on goods from abroad... I wish to have PP here in Europe ;)

I can't say I've ever seen the MIkimotos in the flight catalog, but I do know the Japanese mentality when it comes to buying gifts. They cannot come home empty handed and usually buy presents for everyone- family, relatives, co-workers... and when they travel, they will tend to spend a lot on gifts so on their way home, if they have an abundance of cash, they'll spend it so they don't have to worry about exchanging it at the banks. I can't tell you how many perfumes, nail polish sets, makeup sets, and chocolates I have received that were purchased on flights when I worked in Tokyo. I don't drink, but if I did, I'm sure I could add that to my list too. I did often bring extra alcohol I carried in for someone else on a trip. Too bad no one loved me enough to buy me pearls. lol

Back