Mikimoto Bowtie Clasp in Silver

shenshen

recently I purchased two Mikimoto necklaces. One of them is pretty modern and the previous owner got it back in 2013 from the boutique store (modern packaging too and she took a picture of her comparing different strands back in the store), and for the other one, I do not know about the year but the previous owner said they got it from an auction while they were studying in Japan.

The clasp is the bowtie clasp that is identical to the 750 series ones, but they are silver in color and they are signed SIL as well.
The M hallmark in the oyster shell thing looks authentic to me and so do the quality of the pearls. I had some experiences with pearls and have sold freshwater pearls before, so overall I think it is an authentic piece and have no doubt whatsoever until-

recently I sold it on Ebay but Ebay authenticator said that the silver's purity level does not match 925 silver. And this brings me with a lot of alert. I have seen fakes on the market and believed that I could spot them easily, but those are either with blurry engravement or the hallmark is missing etc. Never with the metal purity. Upon checking with the Ebay authenticator, they told me that the pearls are right and so does the hallmark. So now my question is -- is it possible that Mikimoto plate their modern silver clasps with some other material? Or is possible that Ebay authenticator has done a mistake?

Of course, either is possible. I would lean toward thinking the Authenticator made a slight mistake. I've had many sellers so frustrated with the authentication process, even when the piece is authentic. But authentication is nice to have when spending so much money...it also weeds out the sellers who are not being honest.
Hope you can figure it out.

recently I purchased two Mikimoto necklaces. One of them is pretty modern and the previous owner got it back in 2013 from the boutique store (modern packaging too and she took a picture of her comparing different strands back in the store), and for the other one, I do not know about the year but the previous owner said they got it from an auction while they were studying in Japan.

The clasp is the bowtie clasp that is identical to the 750 series ones, but they are silver in color and they are signed SIL as well.
The M hallmark in the oyster shell thing looks authentic to me and so do the quality of the pearls. I had some experiences with pearls and have sold freshwater pearls before, so overall I think it is an authentic piece and have no doubt whatsoever until-

recently I sold it on Ebay but Ebay authenticator said that the silver's purity level does not match 925 silver. And this brings me with a lot of alert. I have seen fakes on the market and believed that I could spot them easily, but those are either with blurry engravement or the hallmark is missing etc. Never with the metal purity. Upon checking with the Ebay authenticator, they told me that the pearls are right and so does the hallmark. So now my question is -- is it possible that Mikimoto plate their modern silver clasps with some other material? Or is possible that Ebay authenticator has done a mistake?
You could contact Mikimoto and ask them if the clasp is authentic.

You could contact Mikimoto and ask them if the clasp is authentic.
I have a strand of Mikimoto pearls with the ball-type 1874 dated clasp and when I called Mikimoto to see if they would give me or information about this clasp, they would only authenticate the clasp by my sending the pearls in for this evaluation at a cost of $250 minimum, plus my postage both ways, FED EX insured (so another $300 round trip)...so unfortunately it is not as easy (or cheap) as just calling and asking a question.

Back