Matching pearls?

I almost always wear pearl earrings with my pearl necklaces.

I usually try to match the overall appearance of the pearls...

I'm getting better about throwing on pearls that clash and doing a quick glance in the mirror to see if they work together or not. I'm finding out that just about any combination of pearls work together beautifully.

Agree with BWeaves. Although, I prefer pearl studs to pearl drops, with the exception of my little h white SS keshi drops, which work with just about anything.

One analogy that works for me is to realize that both pearls and flowers are from nature. You can put various colors and shapes of flowers into a bouquet, and generally not worry about clashing colors. Same with pearls.

I'm not matchy about wearing pearl earrings with strands, although I often do, I AM matchy about wearing only jewelry that is the same color as the metal color of the clasp with whatever pearls I am wearing. Like I can only wear yellow gold earrings if the findings on the pearl strand are yellow gold, and vice versa for white gold (or silver.) Even though the clasp doesn't show, I just can't do it. I KNOW it's weird, it's just me. When I order pearls I try to be careful and order different colored clasps. On the 4 silver strands I got from the PP Tahitian sale I got 2 yellow gold and 2 white gold!

I like my metals to match, too. Most of my jewelry is yellow gold because that's what my wedding rings are. If I wear a strand, the earrings have to be the same color (but not necessarily the same type of pearl). Also, the earring pearls have to be larger than the pearls in the strand. With pearls other than strands, I'm not as picky and will mix and match pearl colors, sizes, types, and with other jewelry. I usually keep it to two pearl pieces at a time and three or four pieces of jewelry total (including the wedding ring). If I leave the house, I always wear my wedding ring and earrings (usually smaller pearl or diamond studs), just out of habit. If my makeup and hair aren't done, the jewelry is small and minimal because I don't want to be noticed.

@hanadama, love your mix and match pics! Because of them, I think I will try some of my smaller pearl strands with diamond studs. (Ooh- I'm taking a walk on the wild side now lol!) Thank you!

As mentioned in the thread, I prefer mix instead of match.

If I wear white SSP necklace, I would not wear pearls in my ears, and the ring on my left hand would either be a coloured stone or a different pearl type or colour such as a SoC or black Tahitian.

I have a set of earring jackets that match the clasp on my double strand Freshadamas, and would wear either diamond/CS studs or black Tahitians with them, if I were to wear them together.

Each to their own, of course, however, I have never matched my jewellery.

DK :)

It is interesting: I almost never match metals. My wedding ring is yellow gold and my engagement ring is white. The wedding ring is engraved, and the engagement ring is filigree. They are both from the 1920's. I bought the wedding ring new -- it had been sitting in a retired jewelers basement for 75 years. The engagement ring I didn't get until I had been married a year or two -- it took me that long to find the right one. Otherwise I like to coordinate with what I am wearing. I like to wear pearl drop earrings with my pearl pendants, but not with strands; I have no idea why. Maybe I'll try out the drops with a strand! I don't like studs because I am the world's champion stud earring loser, LOL.

Attachments

• engraved_wedding_filigree_engagement.jpg
    engraved_wedding_filigree_engagement.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 34
Many years ago I was a must match everything shoe with purse, gold colors always and akoya pearl earring with my akoya pearl necklace or diamond necklace with diamond earrings first wedding ring was yellow gold so then was the watch. Then my sweet husband acquired my second wedding ring set and with horror it was platinum which I had to wear with my yellow gold dream watch. It took a couple of weeks to get over not matching because no way was I going to stop wearing either the watch or rings. Now I just make sure everything blends in either size or color family. I can wear baroque white akoya tin cup with the white metallic freshwater drop then white south sea earrings. Before I got blue akoya earrings I would wear blue topaz with my akoya necklace.

When I got my engagement ring, my then fiancé (now DH of almost 25 years) insisted it be set in platinum...I was really worried. All I ever wore was yellow gold. Well the jeweler put that to rest...he said, "There is no such thing as the jewelry police. Wear whatever you want whenever you want." I've kept to that mantra ever since!

Since I don't have pierced ears, my earrings tend to be gold thin bands, if any are worn. So no, I guess I don't match or coordinate.

Back