Markings on a South Sea Pearl...Can the Pinctada maxima cover over a hole?

MotherOfPearlTrumpet

I purchased this 14mm South Sea pearl from a gem dealer. It came 1/2 drilled and right next to the drill hole is what appears to be a divot, but it is absolutely smooth on top. Almost looks like when a wood table has an indention and someone re-varnishes it and the hole filles up with varnish and it hardens.
I know these photos show an indention or hole, but I promise you, it is absolutely smooth on top of what appears to be the hole.

Almost like it was an imperfection that the Pinctada maxima somehow filled/covered over...it does not appear to be any kind of post-harvest coating because signs of coating are not evident at the drill hole.
There are two divots on the pearl like what I have described above. I've tried to take photos of both of them, hopefully you can enlarge them and see what I mean.
There is also orange peel texture on this pearl, as indicated by the photos.
Looking forward to your expert input.

(It is a beautiful pearl despite these imperfections.)

IMG_2087.JPG
IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2089.JPGIMG_2090.JPGIMG_2091.JPGIMG_2092.JPGIMG_2086.JPG

To me: it looks just like a regular "white spot", a divot with chalky deposition.

Depends on whether the pearl will need to be drilled and if the drill hole can be placed there to obliterate it. Sometimes Mum nature helps lowly pearl jewellers by marking pearls with a big 'drill here'

Depends on whether the pearl will need to be drilled and if the drill hole can be placed there to obliterate it. Sometimes Mum nature helps lowly pearl jewellers by marking pearls with a big 'drill here'
The hole is already nicely drilled right next to this imperfection. The other one is right in the middle of the orange peel texture (see photos) so I guess that part can go toward the back. I'll get it worked out when mounting.

Such a pretty bail, too!
I thought so too; so unusual! Thanks for your comment. I love looking for those "out-of-the-ordinary" findings. This one came with an off-round Tahitian that was only 9.4mm. I removed that pearl and will use on another pendant. I'll post that later. This enhancer's "heavy appearance" seemed to lend itself to a larger pearl. This 14mm is a good balance size for the enhancer bale.

Last edited:
I thought so too; so unusual! Thanks for your comment. I love looking for those "out-of-the-ordinary" findings. This one came with an off-round Tahitian that was only 9.4mm. I removed that pearl and will use on another pendant. I'll post that later. This enhancer's "heavy appearance" seemed to lend itself to a larger pearl. This 14mm is a good balance size for the enhancer bale.
I agree! This is a large setting, no sense using a pearl that looks too small...it has to be balanced. You did great.

Back