Lots of Pearls to ID; Best Photos to Post?

Anima

I have about 10-15 pearl necklaces, some cultured, some fake, a couple that are natural, I think. What are the best photos to upload here for you gurus to ID them? Some will be difficult to take of the holes, but others have come apart and should be easy. I should be able to eliminate the obvious imitations, and only send those I’m not sure of (I’ve alredy learned a lot from reading your posts). I’m glad I found this amazing wealth of knowledge, since I was going to take the pearls to an area jeweler, but I don’t trust that he’d tell me the truth or offer me a good price for them. I hope to have photos posted by Wednesday, after I know which angles are good. THANK YOU ALL! Anima

Hi Anima,

• It's easiest to evaluate pearls that are photographed against a white background.
• The photo should be taken without flash; also, try not to overexpose it.
• It's helpful to see a photo of each strand as a whole as well as some close-ups, especially closeups of pearls with blemishes or areas where the nacre is damaged or missing.
• The photos need to be in focus.
• Include a closeup of the clasp, along with any metal marks (925, 14K, 750, etc.)
• Any information you can give us about each necklace may help-- how you came to have it, any history about it, or papers/boxes that came with it etc.
• include information about the sizes of the pearls in millimeters (use a millimeter ruler if you don't have a gauge) and the length of the strand. If it's graduated, the size of the smallest pearls on the clasp end and the center pearl.

Since there are many necklaces, maybe you could put a piece of paper with a number (#1, #2 etc.) in each photo so we know which one we are looking at and can refer to it easily.

Do you need information on how to tell if pearls are imitation?

Is it your goal just to sell the pearls, or are you thinking of keeping any of them to wear? Be aware that pearls generally do not hold their value on resale unless they have historic significance or are a brand name like Mikimoto. Naturals would need to be certified by a qualified lab (like GIA) in order to be sold as such, and this costs money also.

We sometimes suggest to people to look on eBay for sold listings of pearls similar to what they own, to get an idea of how much they might be able to sell them for. The final price is often a lot lower than you might think. Pearls become yellowed, lose luster, get scratched, need to be restrung etc. and all of these factors lower the value. Also, styles change.

In addition, pearls that used to cost more a few decades ago now may cost much less (e.g. irregularly shaped, small freshwater pearls) due to improvements in the technology of pearl production. At the same time, gold costs more now. Sometimes the clasp of a vintage strand is the most valuable part of the strand.

Jewelers may sell estate items on consignment-- you get a portion of the selling price when the item sells. The same goes for consignment shops. This is why we often urge people to restring their pearls and wear them instead of selling them.

However, take your photos, tell us the stories of the pearls and let's see! :)

Last edited:
Thank you! I would like to keep one of the real necklaces and sell whatever else is worth anything. I’ll work on getting the photos ready...

Sorry for delay...

Sorry for delay...

...have had some family issues this week. I hope to post photos tomorrow.

Back