looking for rose Akoya pearls

Elenayak

Community member
I did some research on the web and I still do not understand clearly if rose/pink color is always artificial. I e-mailed Mikimoto (their Akoya pearls appear consistently pink). They replied categorically via e-mail that they do not color enhance their pearls. Ever. Yet the color of all their pearls appear to be very uniform. Is this the result of selection? Also, if not Mikimoto, where one could purchase natural rose color Akoya?

I also would be grateful if anyone could suggest who could restring pearls and drill a couple of pearls. I would like to add a coulple of undrilled pearls to my necklace during restingning.

Thank you,
Elena

Rose akoya pearls have gone through a process known as "pinking." Because CIBJO has never demanded that this process be disclosed, it usually isn't. But the pink coloration is indeed artificial.

large (20mm) freshwater pearls

large (20mm) freshwater pearls

Rose akoya pearls have gone through a process known as "pinking." Because CIBJO has never demanded that this process be disclosed, it usually isn't. But the pink coloration is indeed artificial.

Thank you for your reply. I would be greatful if you could clarify another pearl "mistery": I learned that a freshwater mollusk could produce pearls as large as 12mm. Then how are large (up to 20 mm) baroque freshwater pearls are produced, is it by a different type of molusk? And are those pearls different from "soufle" pearls? I was admiring these pearls on, they are very impressive.
Thank you!

Freshwater pearls can be produced much larger than 12 mm. I would say that was about the max a decade ago, with some larger-still pearls found, albeit rarely. This past June I saw a 24 mm, round freshwater pearl for sale at the show.

Sizes started increasing more than two decades ago when the Chinese started using the Hyriopsis cumingi (triangle shell) in place of the Cristaria plicata shell to produce pearls. This also improved shape.

Around the turn of the century the Chinese started importing Hyriopsis schlegeli (Biwa pearly mussels) from Japan and cross-bred them with the HC shells. They found that not only did it result in heterosis, but the shell has a wider cavity between the valves. This cavity can be two to three inches wide, giving ample room to grow large pearls. The largest pearls, however, are almost exclusively second and third generation (like the[FONT=arial, sans-serif] souffl[/FONT]?[FONT=arial, sans-serif] pearls).

It's almost certain that the Chinese have experimented with a lot of other hybrids as well. They are always trying to create the next best thing.
[/FONT]

Back