LBC application! Lavenders, akoyas and 'Biwas,' oh my :)

laurenb

This time last year, I don't think I even owned a strand of pearls. The conversation here has helped me turn my interest into a full-fledged... preoccupation. :D

I'm not completely happy with my photography setup, but I wanted to show some of the pieces I've made for ETSY. My personal tastes run towards very simple presentation of pearls that are inherently interesting in some way. The design part is very straightforward, but the shopping, sampling and whatnot has taken a few months.

Let me know what you think of the prices-- I'm trying to hit a range people can cope with in this economy and is on the low side, but knowing what the strands cost messes up my sense of what they're worth as jewelry and what people want/expect to pay so they can feel the piece is valuable.

I have a fun idea for a "line" of sorts, but I don't think I'll have the time and fundage to get it out for a few months. Hope you like what I've got so far! :)

Attachments

• 1PG1.jpg
    1PG1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 1pg2.jpg
    1pg2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1pg3.jpg
    1pg3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1pg4.jpg
    1pg4.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 30
Why-oh-why is orient so camera-shy? Does it think it has put on a few pounds, or something? :D ETSY's compression seems to be reducing what little rainbow-orient-effect I was able to catch on camera. I may be able to do better if I adjust the light, do a little daytime photography, get my sister's D200 out of the shop, etc. It's a work in progress.

I know my 'Biwa sticks' aren't technically Biwas, nor is my 'Keishi' really keishi, so I put the colloquial terms for these baroque freshwaters in quotes in my listings. On one hand, I hate to perpetuate the myth, but on the other, that's how plenty of folks reckon their nomenclature and I don't want to make these harder to find.

Attachments

• 1pg5.jpg
    1pg5.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 1pg6.jpg
    1pg6.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 40
I find daylight the best for photographing pearls too. I've just retaken pics of almost all my pearls in my front porch as I discovered it seems to be the best place at my house.. bit hot there for the photographer though. Try different places around your home, different times of day and different weather and see what you come up with
Cathy

Back