LaTausca?

fmotion

I inherited some jewelry (some real, some costume) when my Mother passed away 9 years ago. In that was a velvet box from L.H. Riley Jeweler in Corning, NY which said LaTausca Pearls (a trademark). Apparently the jeweler is out of business and I get nothing when I try to find out about the LaTausca Pearls. The string is broken and I wanted to have them restrung if they are real.

The reason for my request now is that my niece is getting married and I wanted to have the pearls strung into a necklace and a bracelet if they are good pearls. I am reluctant to go to just any jewelry store as I don't have the confidence that they will know what they are talking about.

As soon as I saw this post I knew that this question was in reference to a brand marketed by our Deltah division. Although I have always been aware of the brand I was not aware that it was sold. to Arlan Jewelry. Thanks for the Info. If you are interest in some more historical infomation check this link
http://www.pearls.com/timeline1.asp
If you would like to have the pearls restrung feel free to contact me I can help you.

pbazar@pearls.com

"La Tausca Pearls was a trade name for high quality faux pearls used by three different companies: Maurice J. Karpeles, L. Heller & Son Inc and Martin Low & Taussig, Providence RI. This trade name was in use from around 1915 as it was first seen in a Albert Walker jewelry catalog. Then in 1956 it merged with Deltah Pearls and became Heller-Deltah. The La Tausca division was later bought by Arlan Jewelry Co.The main La Tausca store dealt in fine jewelry and was located on Fifth Avenue, New York City."

The more I think about this brief history it bothers me.
First:
Deltah began in 1893 when M.J. Karpeles established the nation's oldest firm specializing in fine simulated pearl jewelry.

Since Mr Karples founded Deltah how could he later merge La Tausca Pearls with Deltah in 1956?

also

a quick search shows

La Tausca Sperry Corp
789 Waterman Ave
East Providence, RI, USA 02914-1713

This is our current address I will need to do more research as to the true facts.

When your company is so old and has so many sales mergers it can get a bit confusing.

Found these in my Mom's things

Found these in my Mom's things

My Mom passed 6 short years ago and I am now just brave enough to go through some of the things I hastily kept as we cleaned out her condo. I don't ever recall these "pearls" (term used loosely as I read more), so I have no idea if they were hers or her mother's. The clasp is clearly tarnished so not sure what it is made of, but there are and no jewels on it. Anyone have an idea of the date of these pearls or what they clasp may be made of? I'm curious more than anything. I would love to figure out if they were my mom's or my grandma's and the age of them may help me. My mom was married in 1960, so wondering if she wore them for her wedding. I miss her so much. I wish these we more wearable. As of now, they remain in a beautiful box.

As soon as I saw this post I knew that this question was in reference to a brand marketed by our Deltah division. Although I have always been aware of the brand I was not aware that it was sold. to Arlan Jewelry. Thanks for the Info. If you are interest in some more historical infomation check this link
http://www.pearls.com/timeline1.asp
If you would like to have the pearls restrung feel free to contact me I can help you.

pbazar@pearls.com

"La Tausca Pearls was a trade name for high quality faux pearls used by three different companies: Maurice J. Karpeles, L. Heller & Son Inc and Martin Low & Taussig, Providence RI. This trade name was in use from around 1915 as it was first seen in a Albert Walker jewelry catalog. Then in 1956 it merged with Deltah Pearls and became Heller-Deltah. The La Tausca division was later bought by Arlan Jewelry Co.The main La Tausca store dealt in fine jewelry and was located on Fifth Avenue, New York City."

Attachments

• LaTausca pearls.jpg
    LaTausca pearls.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 49
It's hard to say. Someone could have put real cultured pearls into the box that originally had imitations in it. Try taking a close up of a few pearls. Especially near the clasp. Same natural indirect light on a white background. Do you have a macro setting (little flower) on your camera? If they are imitations, they are a fine grade. :)

GemGeek's hypothesis is good. Certainly why would an old graduated faux necklace have variations in color and shape?

The tarnish on the clasp is similar to silver. You can try soaking the clasp in a warm dip of baking soda and aluminum foil, to bring back the shine.

Please do post close-ups.

Back