King Conch

SteveM

While I have grudgingly accepted the fact that conch pearls are the exclusive playthings of the filthy rich with their unmentionable offshore accounts in the Caribbean, occasionally the beauty is so astounding that almost any price seems worth paying.

The attached pearl, currently the object of an intensive acquisition effort by a primary conch pearl source, was shown to me as a teaser and I had to share it. Carat weight is not available, estimated dimensions are 22mm x 16mm.

Attachments

• KingConch.jpg
    KingConch.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 35
Oh WOW! There's a conch salad vendor stand that I pass every day. The thought of consuming conch salad who's preparation is probably not regulated scares me. But the thought of finding a little treat someday is so tempting!

Hi Steve,
I love your conch (I joined PG to tell you that). I'm aching to pair conchs with Padparadscha sapphires. Looking forward to seeing you other beauties!

Gemma, welcome and I'm honored to have been the one to provide an excuse for your first post.

To be clear, I have only exposed ''King Conch" here, it is not mine. PG'ers may as well know that the asking price for this particular pearl is $100K. Wholesale.

Pink sapphires promise more sophistication than ubiquitous white diamonds for conchs. If you ever manage this or know of such a piece please post an image!

Steve, the pleasure is mine. I'll probably never manage such a piece, but I'll dream something up and will post a sketch. I saw a rope necklace of nothing but conchs. Unfortunately, it was boring.

The 'King Conch' source also shared with me a graduated conch set 18 months in the process, 35 pearls/220 carats. This one is pretty exciting in its range and intensity of colors, although I have also seen ho-hum examples (including a VERY rare graduated Quohog pearl set Jeremy S. once shared with me, a lifetime's collection, that was lacking in color interest).

Related to the Padparadscha/conch concept, a 9-carat conch with exceptionally deep color (but little flame) was matched with rubies by the same source in the enhancer below (very low res photo unfortunately). Contrast this with the 8.2-carat beautifully flamed conch on the left, surrounded by nearly 3 carats of diamonds. Would have been interesting to see this one with a few of your pink sapphires!

Attachments

• Conch-Diamond-Ruby.jpg
    Conch-Diamond-Ruby.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 42
Now that is one beauty of a conch pearl! Thanks for the pic Steve!!

Hi Steve,

I've been hunting down an exemplar of a Padparadscha. I took some pictures of the 100.18ct beauty at the AMNH and will try to upload it. My apologies for correcting you, but Pads are pinkish-orange or orangish-pink (like a lotus flower or a sunset). The blend of hues should make them even more interesting companions to Conchs. Off to dream someting up...

Back