Is this normal?

Rando

Hi! Is this normal? There seems to be a line inside the pearl when you place it near the light. I’m not sure if it’s damaged or is it normal? And also, do you think that these are real golden south sea pearls?

it’s 9mm set on 14k gold.

Attachments

• photo73154.jpg
    photo73154.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 106
  • photo73155.jpg
    photo73155.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 99
  • photo73156.jpg
    photo73156.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
  • photo73157.jpg
    photo73157.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105
I believe it is a fissure. It's similar to a "crack" but that is found underneath several layers of nacre. Some consider this normal with many pearls and do not consider this an issue (especially with natural pearls) and others think this is a major, unacceptable flaw.
The color seems to be 22 or 24K gold...it's rich & beautiful. It has a nice rosé overtone.

Hoping more of our members will chime in!

They do look like real gold South Sea pearls, and I've seen that sort of a split in the nacre in pearls. If visible, it would be considered a flaw, or more specifically an inclusion because it's inside the pearl.

Thank you Cortez and Jshepherd, that eases my worries. It’s my first time buying pearls so I’m a bit worried that it might crack in the long run. The line seems to be not visible unless you place it near a flashlight. It’s not an issue at all if it’s inside and will not crack. They look really lovely and this might be my start on collecting pearls. This forum seems like a good place to read a lot about pearls and I’m learning. Thank you!

Hello everyone! Please can you tell me if it’s normal or not. Got this earrings from Lombok, they look nice, the surface is smooth, 9 mm diameter, but the shine is not even, kinda “cracked” though the surface is not cracked. Attach the photos, was hard to capture. Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• AB35DB24-5695-4BAB-B9B6-524FE88FEAC1.jpeg
    AB35DB24-5695-4BAB-B9B6-524FE88FEAC1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 107
  • 17767BCC-BA7D-4A59-B8D6-894748C491D3.jpeg
    17767BCC-BA7D-4A59-B8D6-894748C491D3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 109
Yes...impossible to see in your photos. Try finding someone with a good camera or good phone camera so you can capture what you are seeing.

The color is lovely and I agree with Jeremy: your description is that of a "hammered surface": an optical effect caused by the disarray in the layering of nacre crystals.

Yes...impossible to see in your photos. Try finding someone with a good camera or good phone camera so you can capture what you are seeing.

The color is lovely and I agree with Jeremy: your description is that of a "hammered surface": an optical effect caused by the disarray in the layering of nacre crystals.
Is hammered surface preferred in terms of Gold SSPs?

I agree...and some people love the hammered look...in some pearls it just makes them glitter like Opals...and I really enjoy this. But it is personal preference.

Back