Is there a prevalence of dyed Tahitians pearls?

judimcc6

I am troubled by this. I was in a very respectable jewelry store with a friend who was a friend of the Manager. We were picking up a donation for an event and the manager said that these Tahitian pearls were NOT dyed. She made such an emphasis of saying they were not dyed that I had to say that there were many restrictions about the export of the Tahitian pearl market that a jewelry store of note would not carry any dyed Tahitians. I was disturbed that she became indignant and said that at least 80% of the Tahitian market was dyed. I dropped it there...

I guess I have dealt with so many wonderful people in the pearl industry that this has not been a concern, but I would like to know the "horror" stories and what you think of the dyed Tahitian pearls for sale. Naturally, I have seen some of the most despicable pearls being sold in Tucson (not at the best shows) as Tahitians, but those pearls could not be placed in a jewelry store. They were horrible. It is just hard for me to believe that 80% of the Tahitians sold are dyed.

What do you think?

Hi Judi, wow! I think a few years ago, there were chocolate tahitians which were dyed. And I believe that some of the pistachios seen are treated in some way...but I would say they are likely such a small percentage of the production. Just speculation on my part, but could the manager have been referring to the prevalence of "Tahitians" on eBay which are really dyed freshwaters?

Judi,
If there were a genuine problem with dyed Tahitians, GIA would be all over it and reporting. Jeremy would be concerned and advise us, too, as he buys and sells lots of Tahitians. Jersey Pearl, I expect your interpretation of the manager's remarks is correct; she is confusing dyed freshwater with Tahitians.

Hi Judi, wow! I think a few years ago, there were chocolate tahitians which were dyed. And I believe that some of the pistachios seen are treated in some way...but I would say they are likely such a small percentage of the production. Just speculation on my part, but could the manager have been referring to the prevalence of "Tahitians" on eBay which are really dyed freshwaters?

I thought that immediately, but she was adamant that most Tahitians one would see...with the exception of hers...were dyed. I have done a LOT of buying of Tahitians and visited pearl farms and I was just appalled at the thought. I know there are some outliers but I am glad, so far, to hear that we are not this small circle of pearl aficionados.

The store manager is misinformed. Dyed Tahitian pearls are definitely the exception to the rule not the rule. I rarely see treated Tahitians except for chocolates (which we almost never see anymore because the popularity has gone away and Le Vian decided to threaten all chocolate pearl sellers in the US) and pistachios.

There is only one company that I've seen in Hong Kong at the show that carries mostly treated Tahitians and they are a Chinese company in the same building as our main freshwater pearl supplier. But that garbage accounts for such a tiny percentage of what is sold, I don't even think dyed Tahitians make up close to 1% of the Tahitians on the market.

Are all pistachios treated? I was under the impression that the pistachio Tahitians I have bought ( from PP)were natural?

“Tahitians” that are really dyed freshwater?

“Tahitians” that are really dyed freshwater?

Really trying to learn more about pearls .... Can anyone here please post some links to examples on eBay? Or, post some pictures?
Or just send me a message if easier. Thanks in advance.
Linda

Last edited:
If you purchased your pistachio Tahitians from Pearl Paradise, 2thdktr rest assured they have not been color treated. PP discloses any color treatments.

Are all pistachios treated? I was under the impression that the pistachio Tahitians I have bought ( from PP)were natural?

I don't know about what you bought-- perhaps your appraisal that came with the pearls says whether the color is natural? I would think they are but it ought to be on the appraisal.

Here is a GIA article about some pistachio pearls that tested as being dyed:
https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/s...lored-pearls-treated-ballerina-pearl-company?

mrsadm,

Many of the "Tahitians" on eBay that are really freshwaters come from China. There are a zillion listings. I'm messaging you links to 12 I found with little effort.

There are indicators.
The color is not right-- it may be too black, too blue/purple, too "oil slick". Or, too uniform.
The shapes may be eggy, typical of FWP.
If there are circles, the pearls may be drilled in the same direction as the circles (instead of perpendicular to the circles, as it typical for Tahitians and SSP).
The sizes may be too small.
The price may be too low.
There may be bands of low luster typical of low quality FWP.

However, you have to be careful even of many Chinese listings that show photos of actual Tahitians (or akoyas or SSP)-- you often won't get the item photographed, but FWP instead.

See this article:

Last edited:
Also regarding dyed FWP listed as Tahitians, watch out for eBay listings for pre-owned Tahitian pearls, many of which are listed at prices more appropriate for real Tahitians. I just now found 15 such listings.

I suspect many of these sellers are just people who bought FWP listed as Tahitians, didn't like what they got, and are now trying to recoup their losses. Some may not even realize their listings are of dyed FWP. Others are estate sellers and pawn shops.

My little experience allows me to think most of tahitian pearls are not dyed, after to have made a tour inside there nacre.
I have not found dyed in any sizes and tones, even the only green one I have worked was not dyed.
Chinese sellers show "hematite" pearls, metallic black, but then usually don't talk of tahitian pearls.

mrsadm,

Many of the "Tahitians" on eBay that are really freshwaters come from China. There are a zillion listings. I'm messaging you links to 12 I found with little effort.

There are indicators.
The color is not right-- it may be too black, too blue/purple, too "oil slick". Or, too uniform.
The shapes may be eggy, typical of FWP.
If there are circles, the pearls may be drilled in the same direction as the circles (instead of perpendicular to the circles, as it typical for Tahitians and SSP).
The sizes may be too small.
The price may be too low.
There may be bands of low luster typical of low quality FWP.

However, you have to be careful even of many Chinese listings that show photos of actual Tahitians (or akoyas or SSP)-- you often won't get the item photographed, but FWP instead.

See this article: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/c...-the-Reputation-and-Value-of-Saltwater-Pearls

This is also true of white south sea pearls, not just tahitians. And as Kathleen pointed out, lots of edisons are being dyed gold. Very easy for a pearl novice to be fooled. I shop Wen Pearls pretty regularly and she has many strands- correctly identified- that could easily be sold by unscrupulous sellers as tahitian or south sea. My last visit to A&P market in Shanghai had lots of gold SS and tahitians at most of the jewelry booths, and if they were all genuine I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you. ;-) So, we all need to be aware and be savvy shoppers.

There are a lot of listings on eBay for "Tahitian black" pearls, and I decided a long time ago that they are using it as a color description and not describing the pearls.

Le Vian decided to threaten all chocolate pearl sellers in the US

Is that why PP no longer offers chocolate pearls?

There are a lot of listings on eBay for "Tahitian black" pearls, and I decided a long time ago that they are using it as a color description and not describing the pearls.

Is that why PP no longer offers chocolate pearls?

No, we didn't stop selling chocolates because of LeVian's threats. Some dealers started calling their chocolates mocha pearls and other things. We just eventually stopped carrying them because they were the only treated Tahitians we carried and the fad mostly passed - people don't ask for them anymore.

During the whole LeVian vs the pearl industry debacle, I was told by another dealer that they were able to trademark the name Chocolate Pearls even though they didn't come up with it or start carrying them until well after the chocolate pearl industry was established.They were originally denied the trademark but filed something like a 150 argument and were able to convince the examiner that chocolate diamonds and chocolate pearls were similar if not the same.

Not all chocolates and not all pistachio are treated. The colors do come naturally, but they are very rare.

This is also true of white south sea pearls, not just tahitians. And as Kathleen pointed out, lots of edisons are being dyed gold. Very easy for a pearl novice to be fooled. I shop Wen Pearls pretty regularly and she has many strands- correctly identified- that could easily be sold by unscrupulous sellers as tahitian or south sea. My last visit to A&P market in Shanghai had lots of gold SS and tahitians at most of the jewelry booths, and if they were all genuine I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you. ;-) So, we all need to be aware and be savvy shoppers.

I just want to point out that Wen has these freshwater pearls listed under her Tahitian/Akoya/SouthSea Pearls section. Wen lists these pearls as Akoya/freshwater pearls. IMHO very deceptive.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/647514...mm-white-nugget?ref=shop_home_active_83&crt=1

It would be interesting to know how definitively to make the difference between dyed pearls and not dyed... Some kinds of pearls, especially edison and tahitian pearls, often show different colours inside nacre than on the surface, but that only under a significant depth.
True golden SSP seem to have uniform colour in all the thickness of there nacre.
Then, what is the usual thickness of dyed layers? And what about the hole to let us to know if the pearl is dyed or not?

Last edited:
I just want to point out that Wen has these freshwater pearls listed under her Tahitian/Akoya/SouthSea Pearls section. Wen lists these pearls as Akoya/freshwater pearls. IMHO very deceptive.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/647514...mm-white-nugget?ref=shop_home_active_83&crt=1

Wow, that listing is so badly described.

From title: "High Luster A 6.5-7mm White Nugget freshwater akoya pearl,nugget shape pearl,big tail akoya pearl,cultured pearl beads"

From description: "Material: Freshwater Akoya Pearl, it's high luster and cheap"

The shop manager is definitely confused. Unlike golden South Sea pearls (where some sellers call Tahitian pearls "Black South Sea pearls"), where the percentage of dyed and colour-treated pearls is high, Tahitian pearls come in such a variety of natural colors that there is little need to enhance the color.

What pearls are color enhanced? The pearls that are not as sellable in the color they originally come with in the harvest. Like most naturally creamy colored akoya pearls are treated to be white. Freshwater pearls are color-treated to be black (because there are no naturally dark-colored freshwater pearls up to this date). But in Tahitiains the color is not really the issue - they all come in colors, would that be peacock, silver/grey or even white.

So color-treating them routinely would actually lower their value rather than increase it. Apart from the strive for rarest colors like already mentioned here - apart from those rare cases it doesn't make much sense economically.

Back