Inherited pearl necklace.

Maltedmilk

Hi,

I inherited this pearl necklace from my mother. I know she bought it over 30 years ago. I have no idea of the value. The clasp is marked 14 k and it has 4 small dark green or maybe black stones surrounding one pearl. Any ideas on the value?
Thanks in advance.

Deb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 26
Hi Maltedmilk! Because the photos are a bit blurry, I can't say for sure about the type of pearls, but clearly, with such a nice clasp, it was an expensive necklace at the time it was purchased. Do you have a close up feature on your camera (macro, little flower)? Try again or get someone to help. :)

Welcome to Pearl Guide!

Thanks..I'll try to take a better photo. I took it with my iPad and sometimes the photos are clear and sometimes they are not. I'll have to break out the digital camera to try to get a better shot.

Better photos attached. Much better clarity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 26
Hi Deb,

A lovely pearl strand, and from the information you've given about when this strand was purchased, most likely these are cultured akoya pearls. How long is the necklace? What is the approximate mm size of the pearls? Unable to tell what the gemstones might be, but there is lots of gold in that clasp, from years ago before gold got so expensive. Do you recall your Mother wearing it? Was it purchased for a special occasion? It's difficult to give a value without seeing the pearls in person to evaluate their quality, but back then the nacre was thicker than most akoya today, so that is useful to know. You might search on RubyLane.com for something similar.

I hope you plan to wear it and enjoy the compliments! Pearls are always in fashion, and extremely popular right now!

Last edited:
Oh, I agree with Pattye, lovely pearls and probably akoyas. The stones look like they might be sapphires. Your Mom must have adored them. :)

Thanks Pattye and GemGeek. My mom always wanted a pearl necklace and was finally able to buy one at middle age. She wore it on formal occasions and wore them for my wedding. She loved pearls and had pearl earrings ( clip-ons, since she never got her ears pierced ) and a pearl ring with some small diamonds.

Deb,
Thanks for sharing more of your necklace's story!
How lovely that she wore the necklace at your wedding~there are photos I'm sure. It would have been somewhat unusual for women to buy fine jewelry for themselves back then. One usually received fine jewelry gifts from a spouse or SO. I hope you will wear it with happy memories of your Mother.

Back