ID these please?

fayzer

20150703_163247.jpg20150703_163344.jpg20150703_163453.jpg20150703_163523.jpg20150703_163531.jpg

These are 4mm-9mm

Attachments

• 20150703_163241.jpg
    20150703_163241.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
These look like vintage imitation pearls. Is it from someone in your family?

They look a lot like my grandmother's Richelieu pearls from the 1930s.

By the way, the Wikipedia entry for Richelieu pearls is completely WRONG. The Wiki entry makes it sound like Richelieu were cultured pearls. They were imitation pearls that never saw an oyster. Richelieu pearls were plastic coated with fish scale slurry. My grandmother's are ivory colored and do not have any overtones. I'm not sure if they have yellowed over the years, or if they were originally ivory colored. They have a sterling silver clasp.

According to my grandmother, "They were the best pearl that was not a pearl." She gave them to me, when I was 11, because she knew I loved pearls. My heart sank when she said they were imitation, and I never wore them. Fast forward 40 years and I polished the sterling silver clasp and restrung them and they're not bad looking, as long as I don't put them next to my real pearls. I enjoy wearing them every so often. They have a very Queen Elizabeth II look to them.

Last edited:
I have fake pearls in my collection and enjoy owning them, even if I don't wear them much. :)

Costume pearls are fun! They're good for trying out new trends and gifting to people who don't really care to own the real thing.

They do look like faux pearls, only once did I ever see a vintage rhinestone clasp with cultured Akoya pearls.

Vintage Richelieu seems so much better in quality than the recent pieces I've seen in the late 90's. I once had to order from Richelieu 50 pairs of earrings and princess necklaces for a Ballerina Troupe of 7 year olds (very very cute :) ) and remember thinking the faux pearls looked so plastic. But who knows maybe it was their first pearl, and no telling if they are fans and collectors today.

Thank you everyone, good to know. Yes they were my grandmother's and I just wanted to know if I had something super valuable on my hands or not!

Back