I would appreciate your thoughts and expertise on these.

quail

HI -

I got these from my grandmother and would love your thoughts on what I actually have and what they would be worth (as best you can guess without actually seeing them). As you can see in the photos, it is a double strand with a pearl and 14k gold clasp. The necklace is aprox. 13 or 14 inches long. One strand has 32 pearls and the other 30. There are knots between the pearls. My measurements could (are likely) off since I was using a construction tape measure, but it appears the clasp is 13 or 14mm across and the pearls, while odd shaped, are somewhere between 8 and 9mm???

I don't have much of a back story. My grandma was born in Hawaii in 1921 and lived there until 1963. She then moved to Hong Kong for several years and then back to Hawaii until the early 1970s. Look forward to your thoughts . . . several websites recommended posting here.

IMGP3303.jpgIMGP3268.jpgIMGP3270.jpgIMGP3273.jpgIMGP3277.jpgIMGP3284.jpgIMGP3292.jpgIMGP3299.jpgIMGP3293.jpg

Welcome, quall!

Looks to me like there's a round bead inside so I'm guessing they are cultured baroque akoya pearls, with a mabe pearl clasp. The gold in the clasp pushes the value up somewhat. These older akoyas were left in the water longer than nowadays, and as a result had thicker nacre and wonderful luster, which shows in your photos. They are a lovely strand to have inherited-- lucky you!

When folks come on here with grandmother's pearls and ask about what they are worth, it makes me think they don't particularly care for the pearls and just want to sell them. Problem is, older strands of pearls often don't bring much money, unless they are a brand name (like Mikimoto.) Baroque pearls also do not fetch the prices that round pearls do. If you want to see what similar strands are selling for currently, check completed listings on eBay.

My advice to you is to clean and restring them, then wear them! You can even do this yourself-- wash them in a gentle unscented liquid soap (people here recommend Dr. Bronner's; I use a mild baby wash) and check out the stringing tutorial on the Lowly Beaders' forum.

Quail,

Beautiful, lustrous pearls you have there, and large. Agree with Pearl Dreams, baroque shape Akoya with thick nacre. Since the strand is rather short for most women based on the measurements you gave, you might want to restring into a single strand necklace, a pendant, a bracelet and earrings so you would have a complete suite. Would that appeal to you? Replace the clasp, but save it to use on another necklace, it is beautiful also. Appreciate the excellent photos you take!

Last edited:
Goodness, I didn't catch how short that is-- too short for most women, I would think. I agree, restring as a necklace + bracelet etc.
It's not even hard to make dangle earrings-- a headpin and some pliers, a simple earring finding and presto!

Thanks. My grandma was a really small lady and wore things tight on her neck. I remember her wearing them a time or two, but that is about it. I am the only grandchild and a guy, so I am not all to interested in restringing and don't plan on wearing them myself :) There may be someone, sometime down the road that I could give them to, but that would be well down the road. Are they worth insuring, by your best guess? I'm just trying to figure out whether they are something that might be worth hanging on to . . . I don't have any sentimental attachment to them. Thanks again for your help so far!

IMO not worth insuring.

If you decide to list them for sale, post the link here, you never know if someone might bid on them.

Quail,

Beautiful, lustrous pearls you have there, and large. Agree with Pearl Dreams, baroque shape Akoya with thick nacre. Since the strand is rather short for most women based on the measurements you gave, you might want to restring into a single strand necklace, a pendant, a bracelet and earrings so you would have a complete suite. Would that appeal to you? Replace the clasp, but save it to use on another necklace, it is beautiful also. Appreciate the excellent photos you take!

Exactly what I was thinking! You should enjoy them to the fullest. Thanks for sharing. :) --- Okay, you're a guy. Well, save them for someone special! ;)

Back