I think I've been had...

I think we're in violent agreement.

Well hopefully the agreement is not violent - lol - I don't usually chime in on board threads like this because it really boils my blood.

And you're right Caitlin, sellers exploit the fact that most do not take even five minutes to do a Google search and arm themselves with even the slightest bit of knowledge.

The first set of pearls I bought (as a gift for my wife - when I knew nothing about pearls)...I made the mistake of rushing out to buy from a jewelry store and not only got scammed, but also ripped off. I paid $500 for a necklace and two bracelet set of 8-9mm potato freshwater pearls with silver S-hook clasps. They were good - showed me even worse looking pearls to make that set look good. Later, I learned that though the pearls were real, the quality was so poor, that at best, the appraisal value was less than what I had paid.

I have since replaced that set for my wife, with much better FWPs as well as Akoya and Tahitians...but I still have that set, to show my customers the kind of crap scammers are selling.

Last edited:
There are plenty of crooks all around the world..and plenty of very honest and hardworking people in China. most Chinese pearl people are honest and hard working. I don't think it is fair to brand everyone in China as crooks because they are not. They will cut a tough deal and it is up to you to make sure it is a realistic deal, sure, but that is how business is all around the world
What we have here is a few people on ebay proving once again Barnum's adage 'one born every minute'
Governments will not intervene...thankfully. At a time of global recession we certainly don't want trade wars kicking off or trade protectionism. Too much red tape already and how exactly would they stop people buying and selling on ebay? Just like the difference between 'genuine' and 'authentic' in handbags there is a difference between 'Tahitian black' pearls and Tahitian black pearls

There are plenty of crooks all around the world..and plenty of very honest and hardworking people in China. most Chinese pearl people are honest and hard working. I don't think it is fair to brand everyone in China as crooks because they are not. They will cut a tough deal and it is up to you to make sure it is a realistic deal, sure, but that is how business is all around the world
What we have here is a few people on ebay proving once again Barnum's adage 'one born every minute'
Governments will not intervene...thankfully. At a time of global recession we certainly don't want trade wars kicking off or trade protectionism. Too much red tape already and how exactly would they stop people buying and selling on ebay? Just like the difference between 'genuine' and 'authentic' in handbags there is a difference between 'Tahitian black' pearls and Tahitian black pearls

I totally agree - and if any of my replies in this thread gave anyone that impression, I am deeply sorry. I have many friends who are Chinese and I do not think "all" are crooks (and I'm not saying that your post Wendy, implied that towards me in any way either).

Paypal are fantastic about refunding regarding misrepresented goods. Raise an issue formally very quickly - and don't worry if you've already left good feedback, that won't be taken into account. Ebay know that trust is vital for online transactions. If you don't get any joy from the seller, escalate it to a complaint, and as soon as you get the go-ahead, post the pearls back WITH A TRACKING NUMBER and signed-for. You'll get your money AND the initial postage back. You have I think 45 days to raise a complaint - after that, though, ebay/paypal won't do a thing. Send ebay the link to this thread, too, through the complaints messaging. GOOD LUCK! And let us know when you have your money back!

As a fourth generation member of the Chinese diaspora, I would like to assert that even among us Chinese it is commonly acknowledged that there are the scoundrels and the then there's the rest of us! Lol. I am certain this divide extends across all ethnicity groups, nationalities and communities and the personal opinions aired on PG are not taken too much to heart :)

Personally I like my Chinese supplier a lot. Apart from us having the same Chinese surname, in the five years I've bought from her she has always been reliable, her photographs true-to-life and is downright honest. So there's the sheep and then, there are the wolves, and it takes a confrontation with a wolf (imperative one escapes alive) before the sheep sits up and starts being alert.

Isn't that how most of us stumbled upon PG? We were searching for answers after our good and not so good experiences with buying pearls. And now we can count us as educated or at least, in possession of an education in pearls that is very much still a work-in-progress.

As a fourth generation member of the Chinese diaspora, I would like to assert that even among us Chinese it is commonly acknowledged that there are the scoundrels and the then there's the rest of us!

In every race / gender / creed / ****** orientation (etc etc) you get very nice people indeed and complete idiots.

Well, I emailed the seller and here is the response that I got:
Thank you for your cooperation.My pearls are akoya pearls.I consulted a local expert on pearls just now,he told me the akoya,it is a type of technology to cultivate pearls.These pearls are cultured pearls with this technology,they are akoya pearls.Sorry,I'm unable to reimburse the return shipping costs,because I shipped your order free shipping,and we have Return policy,the Return shipping:Buyer pays return shipping.Thank you for your understanding.Maybe you can please return them by economical shipping service,it will cost about $2-3.Please contact with me if you have any question.Thank you very much.
Ming

I KNOW that it's going to cost more than $2-3 to ship this back to china no matter WHAT kind of shipping I choose! I did open a case with eBay this AM and we'll see what kind of response I get, I did include a link to this thread so I hope that it get's visited. I feel terrible that this woman is ripping off her customers, downright LYING about her product when directly questioned, and I feel even worse that I was such an uneducated buyer and fell for it!

For those wondering what I paid, I paid around $78 USD for a necklace, bracelet, and earrings. I'm guessing that this isn't a bad price for freshwater pearls (and in fact if they were higher quality I might be tempted to keep them anyway, even though I wanted akoya pearls, but they are not), but that isn't what I was intending to buy. Thank you all for your input and I'll update with more info as the drama unfolds :)

That's a novel approach - we're using technology used to culture Akoya, so they're Akoya.
I'm curious, what size are the pearls?

The were supposed to be 8MM, most of them are closer to 7. I specifically asked her in an email though if they were akoya SALTWATER pearls, and she answered in the affirmative, so I'm amazed she's trying this "akoya technology" tactic now as if that conversation never happened.

Oh, I believe you, totally!

It was dishonest, no doubt, and I find the mental gymnastics to justify what they sent amazing.

The were supposed to be 8MM, most of them are closer to 7. I specifically asked her in an email though if they were akoya SALTWATER pearls, and she answered in the affirmative, so I'm amazed she's trying this "akoya technology" tactic now as if that conversation never happened.

The strand is most likely 6.5-7.5 mm, with 75% of the pearls measuring 6.5-7 mm and 25% measuring 7-7.5 mm. That, believe it or not, is standard sizing for material size 7-8 mm. This is why a 7.5-8 mm strand is worth so much more than a 7-8 mm strand. When you see 7-8, you can assume you will receive the former. A 7.5-8 mm strand is actually the bottom 75% of a "material size" 8-9 mm.

"Akoya technology" is again, unfortunately, a lie. How about the sellers South Sea pearls that are actually freshwater? Are those South Sea technology? There are very few honest pearl sellers on eBay, unfortunately. They are able to continue lying to people and basically stealing from people because so many people don't realize they've been scammed and leave positive feedback. Why would eBay care? They are making money.

I wonder if there would be a way to get an injunction against eBay. It would be close to impossible to get an injunction against the individual sellers. There are just too many thieves there, and the vast majority aren't even in the West.

I wonder if there would be a way to get an injunction against eBay. It would be close to impossible to get an injunction against the individual sellers. There are just too many thieves there, and the vast majority aren't even in the West.

I like that! Think big!

I wonder if there would be a way to get an injunction against eBay.

It's possible, but not easy. It's safe to assume, eBay lawyers would create burdensome obstacles.

To obtain an injunction, one must prove the damage causes irreparable harm. In other words, something any amount of money cannot fix. This would make it near to impossible for an individual to petition the court, but a government entity or trade organization could under existing laws of commerce.

On the upside, any company cannot plead ignorance on the behavior and performance of it clients or agents. Afterall, it's not what a company knows, but what it's charged with knowing. Limitation of liability has a high standard in law and is nearly impossible to invoke.

Back