I need some advice please.

karma1808

Hello Everybody,

New member here with limited knowledge of pearls so please accommodate, and pardon my errors.
Now my situation.
I have with one of my relatives black pearls and I am looking for advice for valuation and possible selling of same.
These are black pearls which my relative has collected for years and when seen in light change color to green.
I am attaching couple of pictures of the same. Please advice.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 32
They are interesting...can you tell us more?
• What kind of shell did he find them in? (Or were these collected along a beach--in which case, could they be pebbles?)
• How large are they in millimeters?
• They don't look iridescent in the photo-- does the surface look the way porcelain looks, to you?
• What country were they found in?
• Freshwater or saltwater?

Well all these pearls look black with naked eye but when I took the picture for some reason they show the colors that they show above. Also my relative has been having these for the last 25 years and he is in India. He purchased these from someone who told him that these were very rare.
I do not know if they are fresh water or salt water. I do not know the country they were found in.
Also I have a couple of these with me but am confused how to measure them. Please guide.

Do you have a ruler that shows millimeters? Lay a pearl on top of it or next to it and see if you can estimate the diameter at the widest part.

I don't know what they are but I will hit the books and return to the thread later or tomorrow. Strack's book Pearls may have some information on pearls in that region.

But I'm not entirely sure they are pearls. Hopefully someone who knows more about natural pearls will post.

As I pointed out to you these were purchased about 25 years back. Although the transaction was done in India, my relative believes that these are not found in India but were brought to India to be sold.
Also he got them verified in India and was told that they are pearls and these are black color and have not been dyed or artificially colored.
Anyways thanks for your help and I will wait for your next post regarding this subject.

Woww it doesnt look like pearls that came out from oysters. Is that what so called as non nacreous ones? Like clam pearls or snail pearls or something???

All this is new to me.
I have a question for you .
Do you think this has value?
Also how do I get them authenticated?

The cracks mean they are probably very proteinaceous, so could be pen pearls. But also could easily be a few other things. Interesting!

Thanks guys for your insight.
I am in Los Angeles and if I took these samples to the GIA lab in Carlsbad would they be able to identify these pearls with certainty.
Also as suggested by Katbran I have sent a message to Kari Pearls.
Will update here on what happens, meanwhile any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for your advice.
Today I spoke with GIA over the phone and my report is ready.
I will collect my pearls and the report from the Carlsbad lab on Friday but here is what I was told over the phone.
I had given 5 of these as sample set for testing.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Results,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

General Description..Five (5) loose undrilled pearls.
Measurements.....Ranging from 3.76 mm to 4.93 x 4.19 x 3.75 mm
Pearl(s).................Natural pearls
Environment........Saltwater
Mollusk.................Undetermined
Treatments............No indications of treatment
Shape....................Near-round and button
Bodycolor..............Dark brown and black, Natural
Overtone...............N/A
Comments.............Surfaces are non-nacreous.

Last edited:
Cool! It would have been nice to have had the mollusk determined, but now you know for sure you have natural pearls!

Back