I know NOTHING about Pearls. Where to start ? Where to buy ?

JME011

I have a simply question.

I have never bought a pearl before I know nothing about nothing. Please help. I am looking to spend 400-500 on a white strand (18 in or so) for my mother's birthday. As I know this is not much money in regards to pearl strands but it?s what I can afford.

What is the best bang for my buck? Where should I go? Zale?s? James Avery? Cosco? Macy?s? Can you provide a link of a suggestion maybe? I have no idea where to start. Whatever you tell me I will buy just please be honest as I know nothing and could easily be ripped off without even knowing it.

Thank you so much for your help and I greatly appreciate your time in assisting me.

Hi, are you open to purchasing them online? You will get much nicer pearl for you money. I'm sure there will be someone along shortly to give you some suggestions for some really great online sources soon. I'm kinda new myself ;)

Not sure what you are looking for but one popular choice here is Pearl Paradise. There are quite a few others, I will look for some others but hopefully someone comes along soon. They are very good at that kind of assistance here :)

Yes I am open to anything however I would need to overnight. I just know nothing and I hope to get an honest answer from someone that is not just trying to take my money but help me get something that is worth the value.

Thank you CharmedOne for your reponse I was not even thinking online. have a great day.

In a nutshell:
Akoya pearls are the ones we all used to think of as the classic white pearls-- round, sharply lustrous, with a bead nucleus over which there is a layer of nacre. The layer is not thick-- 0.4mm is considered very thick and commands the higher prices. This means that if these pearls are going to be worn daily, eventually the bead will probably wear through the nacre. However some people prefer this look, and feel the price is worth it.

Freshwater pearls in the 1980s and early 90s were low end and came in baroque shapes, but the Chinese have upped their game in the past decade and a half, and now cultured freshwater pearls (CFWP) are the way to go for maximum bang for the buck. They are very nearly round in the higher grades, their luster is great and most don't have a bead inside (if they do, it will be stated-- this is generally the huge ones.) What this means is that they can be worn day in and day out and not wear out! CFWP are the way I would go for the budget you stated.

Here are white pearl necklaces from Pearl Paradise to browse, in ascending order of price: http://www.pearlparadise.com/White-Pearl-Necklaces-119.aspx?page=0
Use the drop down menu on each item to select length (which adjusts the price as well) and color of clasp.

Here are two pages about grades and what they mean for freshwater pearls and akoya pearls:

freshwater-- http://www.pearlparadise.com/Freshwater-pearl-grading.htm
akoya-- http://www.pearlparadise.com/Akoya-pearl-grading.htm

I only recommend PP because I have bought from them.
All the vendors will work with you to ensure you get what you really want. Phone them or use Live Chat.

You want to be thinking about your mother's coloration and what tones would look best on her skin (ivory, rose or silver undertones.) Also her size/frame and what size and length of pearls would be to her taste.

If you go with one of the sellers mentioned (assuming you are in the USA so overnight is possible since they are) you won't go far wrong. You want a seller who can tell you exactly where the pearls came from and who selected them as the best possible from all available. That means going personally to suppliers and physically picking through thousands of pearls to select just a few. You won't get that depth of knowledge or pearl love in most bricks and mortar stores. you'll be paying a lot less for a lot more quality online.

Also, check out The Pearl Outlet. Is this an emergency, like her birthday is tomorrow or day after? All the sellers listed will guide you safely!

The Metallics are to die for, BTW.

Please keep us posted?

Last edited:
WOW thank you everyone for so much help and support. I appreiate all your advice as I now know what I am looking to purchase.

Thank you PearlDream, Thank you PearlEscense, and Thank you Lisa C.

Great people and great help.

If you go with one of the sellers mentioned (assuming you are in the USA so overnight is possible since they are) you won't go far wrong. You want a seller who can tell you exactly where the pearls came from and who selected them as the best possible from all available. That means going personally to suppliers and physically picking through thousands of pearls to select just a few. You won't get that depth of knowledge or pearl love in most bricks and mortar stores. you'll be paying a lot less for a lot more quality online.

Excellent advice from Wendy. By shopping online, your pearl budget will go far in purchasing a lovely, high quality pearl necklace your Mother will cherish! Do call one of the vendors mentioned, let them know you were referred by this forum and they will help you make a great choice and ship it quickly. Please let us know how it goes!

If you find you have a bit left over after getting the necklace, consider buying earrings at the same time so they can match the tones.

I hope this does not post twice.

One last question - AAA or Freshadama is it worth the extra money ?

Again thank you all for the help. Great to see people so helpful.

Thank you Pattye. Plus its my mom who is priceless. Thanks everyone on the forum for the help.

I agree that Freshadama is worth it.

And metallic white Freshadamas are even more worth it! (But you'd have to check on the availability of matching earrings, should you want them, as the metallic whites are not in large supply.)

Oh yes, plump for matched studs over perfect round any day as long as the lustre is metallic.
You might be amazed at the number of emails we get asking for earrings 'to match the necklace I got from you last year'........
There might be fifty shades of grey but there are hundreds of permutations of white

Back