I have another question....

JerseyPearl

What is the best kind of glue to use to set a pearl into a ring? Will superglue work? Should I use jeweler's epoxy? I have been using superglue to mount some pearls onto earrings and it seems to work well, but wasn't sure if it would be strong enough for a ring. All opinions appreciated!!!

I'd recommend the 2-part epoxy also. Some of the super glues are runny; the epoxy is thicker. Hopefully the pearl fits snugly on the post. I always allow for plenty of dry time, too. Save the paper or lid you mix the epoxy on, you can tell if the mix is setting up correctly. (Mixed enough and the correct proportions.)

Of course, we want to see the Pretty you are working on!

I'd recommend the 2-part epoxy also. Some of the super glues are runny; the epoxy is thicker. Hopefully the pearl fits snugly on the post. I always allow for plenty of dry time, too. Save the paper or lid you mix the epoxy on, you can tell if the mix is setting up correctly. (Mixed enough and the correct proportions.)

Of course, we want to see the Pretty you are working on!
But of course...the pearls need to be drilled first, but I have a few projects for the new year!

We use gel superglue, which is colloidal and gets over Pattye's runny hurdle. It's easy to control, sets well (though you need to leave it in the open for a few hours) and - best of all - there is a release liquid if it all goes wrong or you simply want to change the pearl later on.

We use gel superglue, which is colloidal and gets over Pattye's runny hurdle. It's easy to control, sets well (though you need to leave it in the open for a few hours) and - best of all - there is a release liquid if it all goes wrong or you simply want to change the pearl later on.

Happy New Year to all...

Wendy, I have been using the superglue gel for earrings and pendants, but I was a bit apprehensive to use it on a ring...does it wear well for that purpose? The concept of mixing two ingredients and having them work also causes me a bit of pause, since I've never used it before.

We use it for all setting. All glues will shear if clonked at just the wrong angle. That's one of the reasons why there's a pin - to stop that movement. Glues work by making a vacuum which sucks two surfaces together. So it is really a matter of use as little as possible, a thinnnnnnn coating, rather than splodge it on, more the better.
We had some fails with epoxy, even when certain the mix was exact (a two syringe pack)

Superglue can degrade in water, epoxy can soften with heat. Something to keep in mind, depending on how you wear your jewelry.

I have successfully removed epoxied pearls by applying hot water, with no damage to pearl or setting. Safest rule of thumb for a ring would be to take it off when washing dishes or swimming or taking hot baths.

We all have our preferences, but I do like Devcon 2-part 5-minute epoxy.

Wendy,
This indeed sounds like a "super-duper" glue, but doesn't seem to be available here for some reason, though many types are available. If I can come up with a brand name here in the US I will post it.

Back