I found my exit pearl...

Dear pearl lovers

I would like to introduce myself briefly. I am an passionate pearl fan, I love single undrilled loose pearls. The love for the pearls started a few years ago when I heard a wonderful statement in a lecture. Correspondingly, the speaker said that a pearl is the result of a irritation. From a bad event, the oyster makes something beautiful and valuable. And when we humans react to an irritation or a problem with good qualities and good behavior, we also make something very valuable out of this situation.

This idea captivated me immediately, and so I began to collect individual loose beads. I always have a pearl in my pocket, and when I encounter a difficult situation, I sometimes look at it briefly and think about how to properly respond to that "irritation" now.
After each new pearl I bought, I looked for another, even more beautiful, bigger pearl, and I noticed that tendencies of addiction came to the fore ...not good, if your financial possibilities are limited...
So I decided to go in search of the "Exit Pearl". The last pearl I would ever buy. After a long search I found my pearl a while ago. A more than 20mm big white South Sea pearl from northwest Australia with a special shape. I love this pearl like a human. I like the idea that it must have been a big, older oyster that made this pearl. It really made something very nice out of this irritation with the nucleus.
For this pearl I had to sell some other pearls. I feel like the traveling merchant mentioned in Matthew 13: 45-46 if anyone knows the Bible a bit...

Since it's the only white South Sea Australian pearl I own, I'm still trying to get to know it better. Especially the meaning of Lustre, Orient, and Overtone, I'm still on the find out.

I would like to show you my pearl, and would ask for your opinion.

The seller told me it has a cream of Overtone, but in my opinion it has a pink-green overtone. When the pearl is heavily illuminated, the Nacre shimmers quickly chreme colored, and I think that will quickly lead to a wrong color rating. Am I wrong?

Generally, I would be interested to know what you think about the cream colored Nacre. Is cream the usual color of the Nacre on white South Sea pearls from Australia? See picture 1.5.

Picture 1.3 shows the orient of the pearl, right?

At picture 1.2 you can see the slightly pinky green overtone. correct? Why do these two colors come together?

In picture no. 1.4 and 1.6 you can see a good color shift in highlights. In addition to the direct reflection of the fluorescent tube in white (the surface gloss) you can see green / pink reflections. Is that part of the overtone, or does it have a different name?

I would be very happy if all the professionals among you, who have a lot of experience, and already had many Australian South Sea pearls in their hands, could tell me their impression of my pearl.

And last but not least, does anyone know how many pearls are harvested annually in Australia larger than 20mm?
Special shapes like my pearl included.

Best regards

Travelingmerchant

P.S. I've translated my words into English using Google Translate. I apologize for any confusion.

1.1.jpg1.2.jpg1.3.jpg1.4.jpg1.5.jpg1.6.jpg1.7.jpg

That is gorgeous! :D

Color and luster are best evaluated against a white background but I love the orient!

Beautiful pearl ! Are you buying it from an Australian farm ? Depending on the seller, lots of people say their WSS are Australian when in fact they are from elsewhere . They use 'Australia' as it makes them sound more expensive and special. But, wherever it comes from , it's a beautiful pearl. Lovely lustre for a big pearl like that.. as Pearl Dreams has said...it's much better to have a photo on a white paper towel as the pearls can reflect the background colours.

Thank you Pearl Dreams and Katbran

Here is a photo under Photostudio Light conditions, with neutral white background.

@Katbran
I bought the pearl direct from a europe based well renowned and traditional pearl trader, who serves also retailers, luxury brands and designers.
As far i could reconstruct the origin, the pearl comes from the northwestern australia.
Or do you see signs that the pearl could come from another area?

Am I correct in assuming that big pearls often have rather poor luster since the Nacre deposit is not as compact as with younger oysters?

1.8_web.jpg

"Am I correct in assuming that big pearls often have rather poor luster since the Nacre deposit is not as compact as with younger oysters?"

In fact, great size pearls can be "young" themself, with only thin nacre around a very big bead. Water temperature, at time of harvest, also influences the quality of surface layer's nacre.

travelingmerchant, that's a truly lovely pearl! I am so captivated by its charming shape :) What a nice way to display it; is that a watch box? Does it revolve when the lid is closed by chance? Congratulations on such a beauty.

Your entrance into the Pearl World is a beautiful one. I too am bothered by the irritation to the molluscs that I think must cause them pain, and I feel like a hypocrite when I buy more pearls.
I’m not an expert, but I inherited a lot of South Sea pearls, as well as buying new SS both white and gold just because I ‘needed’ to have them.
Pearls bring me closer to my recently deceased mother, who loved pearls.
I think your pearl is gorgeous!
You may have inspired me to look for that Exit Pearl also.
Thank you for your story.

Well given that info it's far more likely to be Australian. And yes, almost all the Australian SS come from the Northern Territory..there are several farms up there. The trader will more likely know the providence of the pearl. If it had come from a retailer I would have been far more suspicious. . especially if the price was low. . I'm sure yours wasnt.
That pearl has a beautiful lustre for a large pearl, it's true that generally as the SS or Tahitians get larger the lustre isn't quite as sharp. It's certainly not always true as your pearl shows.

It's a very pretty pearl and I love the shape :)

Dear Cathy

Yes, this is a watch mover box. This is a product to store a watch with an automatic clockwork.So you are able to store your watch in this box, and then from time to time you can switch it on, and then the round area turns, and the watch movement is being "loaded". I modified this box to display my pearl, and so i can turn the motor on, and the round desk with my pearl on top starts to turn...
is that a watch box? Does it revolve when the lid is closed by chance?

Dear Cathy

Yes, this is a watch mover box. This is a product to store a watch with an automatic clockwork.So you are able to store your watch in this box, and then from time to time you can switch it on, and then the round area turns, and the watch movement is being "loaded". I modified this box to display my pearl, and so i can turn the motor on, and the round desk with my pearl on top starts to turn...

That's a pure poetry...

travelingmerchant, that is just a brilliant idea! Did it already have a clear lid to view the watch? So many of us have loose pearls, or a favorite ring, earrings, pendant that would be just wonderful to display ... even if it's not the perfect "exit" piece ;) Anything more you are willing to share on how you modified the watch winder would be appreciated ... and Welcome! to the forum :)

Dear Cathy
Here is a picture of the original watchmover. i just removed the insert for the clocks, and filled the room with foam. then I stuck a nice fabric over it ...
the watchbox is very cheap online available (about $ 70-90)...
travelingmerchant, that is just a brilliant idea! Did it already have a clear lid to view the watch? So many of us have loose pearls, or a favorite ring, earrings, pendant that would be just wonderful to display ... even if it's not the perfect "exit" piece ;) Anything more you are willing to share on how you modified the watch winder would be appreciated ... and Welcome! to the forum :)
watchmover.jpg

Welcome to P-G, travlingmerchant! Thank you for sharing your lovely pearl. It has a beautiful shape and the display box is brilliant!

Now what you need is a ring that slowly rotates the pearl on your finger!

Thank you all for your comments.
Is there anyone here who already had other very large loose white South Sea pearls from Australia in their hands? How would you compare the color characteristics of my pearl with other pearls already seen?

How would you define the overtone of my pearl?

Since this is my only very big south sea pearl of Northwest Australia that I have ever had in my hands, I would like to learn more about the typical characteristics of such pearls.

Thank you all again!

Back