I can't wait!!

Hey everyone! I'm one of the newbies and I though it was time for me to chime in after lurking for weeks. I was actually looking for information on pearls on behalf on my best friend who was the one with the passion for pearls. I went on a trip to China and was keen to find out where the best retailers were so I could buy her a gift since my mother bought some from Taihu the last time she visited the Jiangnan area. Long story short (still a big chunk though) did a google search and came across this forum. My interest was piqued, and I was checking this forum daily for updates almost to the point of reading all the posts (I doubt there's a thread I have yet to comb). During my travels, I went to Liwan Plaza in Guangzhou, where the wholesale pearl center was. There were cheap enough - probably AA grade at most with some but not top luster, mild orient and little to no water. I was not satisfied. There had to be someplace better where I could get the pearls. I then became charged with the desire to own the most perfect CFWP, reading the news on the Freshadamas with great interest. After doing much research walking into B & M stores and getting all sorts of stories about Akoyas and freshwaters being worth the exorbitant prices they were charging retail, I decided to take the plunge online with PP, especially after all the rave reviews on this site. I was not disappointed.

I made my order for a white Freshadama 7.0-8.0 mm set during the Easter holiday, which meant it took a few agonizing days before Fedex knocked on the door, and I had to get it sent to my sister's place because I wasn't around to take delivery. I'm only home every other weekend as I work out of town. I finally got to see the pearls today. These are the most amazing things in terms of weight and feel. I also did the tooth test (was itching to try it out after I first read about it - it's a mild grit you can't miss but not overtly grainy so to speak). It made me realize what made them so unique as works of mother nature. These pearls are round, but not the perfect sphere that perhaps some Akoyas or South Seas/Tahitians may achieve. For pure mantle-nucleated molluscs, I truly applaud them for their effort. There are some slight blemishes, but the strand overall was definitely more than 95% blemish-free, and probably what marks each strand as being natural, not man-made. The luster is unlike anything I have ever seen - it is not a metallic finish but yet a definite mirror-effect can be observed. I was also finally able to understand the meaning of water like I'm looking right through into a contained drop of creamy but shiny liquid. The play of iridescence on the surface never fails to enthrall me - I keep staring at the flickers of light as I move the beautiful velvet lined case. The overtones are very subtle but a warm ivory that shows up beautifully and complements my yellow skin undertones (I'm Asian - 5'1", 110 Ibs). I doubt I'll be able to go bigger than that as this set isn't over the top but can still dress up any outfit. In comparison to low quality Akoyas that I'd seen in store, that were off-round, had less luster but more overt rose overtones and were priced similarly after a 50% discount, I'd say what I got was a definite bargain for a pure nacreous set rather than what some of the collectors here term PPBs. :)

There's my story. Thought I'd liven up the forum a bit. Waited a while before I got activated and was dying to post once I got my hands on these little beauties. Will post pics when I figure out how to photograph them nicely. I will have to give the earrings away as I do not have pierced ears and am not willing to put a needle through my body for any reason, but my best friend will absolutely love the quality of the studs.

I'm now very keen to get some dyed AAA freshwaters and am eagerly awaiting the untreated as well as Akoyas from Jeremy's own farm. Also waiting for the anticipated Mother's Day specials *hint*. So psyched about everything that I might make a trip to LA next year just to see and pick out larger South Seas/Tahitians for pendants. What size would you guys recommend for someone my size? I was keen on an Autore South Sea that was 14 mm for my mom, but I thought I would only be able to go to 11-12 mm maximum as I'm just too small for it not to look clunky. Gonna check out the Paspaley boutique this weekend. Was planning a trip to Broome (I'm in Australia) but since there's no direct flight and it's more expensive than to fly to China forget it.

Hi Raison

Welcome. Great post. Waiting for those pix! pls post them under your thread so we won't have to go 5 pages to see them.;)

Started a thread in "Show Us Your Pearls". More to follow.

Back