I can't wait!!

Valeria the ones I saw today are like what you've described, perfectly round and probably thin-skinned, you're right it's the thin-skin that probably resulted in the lack of refraction and water. I compared that pair of earrings with several of her other pieces and the others really had more water and orient. To be honest that earring didn't show much orient too. Although she insisted it was pure white, it looked grey-tinged white, and sort of "blah" to me.

Let me share with you what else transpired while I was in the store. While comparing the pair of pearls with her other SS items, I commented that I couldn't see the water in the pearls. The lady owner and her shop assistant said they had never heard of the term, even though they've read a complete guide to pearls. They kept insisting that I was referring to the lustre. Now that I've read back that lustre comprises of water, orient and depth... I guess she was right, but they told me there were only two things to consider about pearls. Lustre and undertone. Really?

The loose pearls in your link are so much nicer than the ones I saw today. They are beautiful :)

I'm considering the SS or the freshadamas from PP.com... but would like some opinions as to which to get. I like the whiteness of the SS compared to the rainbow myriad effect of the freshadamas... but they probably wouldn't last as long as the freshadamas right? Headaches.

Sorry for ranting so much!

Hi Sweetfrock,

You already know more than the shop owner and her assistant. The shop owner wants you to pay her rent for next month.

As for Freshadamas, and SS earrings, it is good to have both!!! But with good care both should last a long, long time!! If you order from PP or any of the other sellers on this forum, they probably would be happy to choose a pair of earrings for you that meet your specific color preferences and have high quality thick nacre to boot! And for $1200 you could have a whole earring wardrobe!!!

You all keep me laughing!! Thanks sooooo much!:D

Pattye
So many pearls, So little time

sweetfrock said:
... they told me there were only two things to consider about pearls. Lustre and undertone. Really?

That sounds wrong, but not unexpected at all: after all, why would they promote a product they do not have? It isn't usual to hear any information not precisely targeted at the one potential sale on the table in any shop.

Could be wrong, but it seems to me that the common emphasize on color/overtone, lustre and shape is really just a side-effect of nucleation itself: paired with more or less accepted treatment, these characteristics are easier delivered by nucleated pearls. Water and orient are not... there might even be some trade-off. Besides, it is easier to market very blatantly obvious characteristics that any human can identify confidently, whether they have ever seen pearls before or not: roundness, whiteness and lustre are simple sale points. For water and orient ya need a bloody book!

Of course, all these are inconsequential for what make pearls great - quality is quality and will still be judged by the good old standard as long as there are folks knowing pearls. So far, no sign that pearl connoisseurship might be in decline - that'll be a cold day in Hell. Which doesn't mean that a seller, or two or a thousand can't have their way. ;)

sweetfrock said:
I'm considering the SS or the freshadamas from PP.com... but would like some opinions as to which to get. I like the whiteness of the SS compared to the rainbow myriad effect of the freshadamas... but they probably wouldn't last as long as the freshadamas right? Headaches.

Just saw the new (?) pictures of the Freshadama earrings - pretty colorful. I have a mental image of pearls with rich orient, which does match the images there... but ... I can imagine how these images could be misinterpreted (someone over-estimating how colorful the pearls are, or even imagining patches of solid color where orient left its' subtle mark on the picture).

Any chance you could call in both options and make use of the return policy to decide?

BTW. There are some other pictures of Freshadama (drop) earrings on THIS thread... Dare I say more convincing than the original !? :cool:

Sometimes seeing a few different pictures helps (well, it does it for me).

Valeria that pic helped (Thanks imanit!). I think the freshadamas are going to be it. I'll get the 9.0-10.0mm freshadamas stud, and wait a bit and get the south sea as a bigger-sized drop earring. What do you think?

Pattye I'll have my south seas one day... just one day... there're so many types on my wishlist now. Addictive...

but they probably wouldn't last as long as the freshadamas right? Headaches.

Don't worry about that if you buy good quality-ie thick nacre. Buy the ones you will love to wear, but don't settle for for less- such as the ones that looked flat.--they will always look flat and never give you the joy you should have in looking at them--especially if you paid a typical SS price!

Increased demand driving up prices?! That is one I have not yet heard on a B&M retailer level for South Sea pearls.
Funny, though, is that it is actually true to an extent. Commercial quality has been selling very well and prices have been high at auction recently. But I have not noticed any real changes in earring grade of late. This is purchased separately as most lots at Concorde and other large auctions are mixed with commercial grade.

Regarding the term "water", my suggestion is not to use it. Outside of this forum no one will really know what you are talking about. It is a term that Zeide Erskine frequently used here, but is not a current industry term, nor is it a grading characteristic. If you use the term in any jewelry shop, they will be convinced you actually don't know what you are talking about. Just stick to orient and luster, as this will encompass the same characteristics.

South Sea pearls can and do have great luster, especially in small sizes like the 9-10mm range, as this is always a first-graft size. The look will be somewhat different from freshadama, but does not have to be "blah" whatsoever. A fine pair of SSP earrings will not have the metallic reflection of Akoya, but will have the fine, lustrous, satiny glow. If the pearls look dull, they are not of fine grade.

sweetfrock said:
I'll ...wait a bit and get the south sea as a bigger-sized drop earring. What do you think?

Why wait ;) LINK

Besides, freshwater drops are every bit as nice as their round cousins. Only much larger sizes seems to be achievable in nucleated South Sea... so far.

Caitlin you're absolutely right... and I do want a pair that I will fall in love with and continue to love with time.

Mr Shepherd, I will get the lustrous, satiny glow pearls one day, when the upsize bug strikes again. :p What overtones should I go for? I didn't give any special instructions in my previous order. Can you kindly advise what will suit a fair-skinned asian person?

Many thanks to all,
Carol

Edit: I've placed the order and chose rosy/silver overtones... *rubbing hands in glee*

Last edited:
I would suggest either going with rose or silver. The size should be fine for you as our current freshadama earring inventory came from undersized 10-11mm materials (material size .6-.6). So the 9-10mm are on the larger size!

Last edited:
The earrings have arrived and I thought I'ld share them with you all.

In the box
IMG_5329-1.jpg

Side views

Left stud
IMG_5335.jpg

Right stud
IMG_5339.jpg

Last edited:
Oh those just make me wantt o drool. Makes me wish I could wear pierced earrings. Maybe I should ask Jeremy if he could whip up a clip pair for me.:cool: But I what i would really love are some drops. I just love the drop shape in earrings. Great choice though!

Sweetfrock-

Those look just gorgeous! Have you had a chance to wear them out? How about a photo of you in them??

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Wooow. You can totally see the camera lens in those pearls! I bet they look even better in real life.

pattye said:
Sweetfrock-

Those look just gorgeous! Have you had a chance to wear them out? How about a photo of you in them??

Pattye

Hi Pattye, here are some pics taken this evening. I look terrible after work, yet the pearls still look as beautiful as they did this morning. The pics are big but the pearls show up quite well.

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lovely Sweetfrock,

A wonderful choice in earrings for a beautiful young woman! Thanks sooooo much for the great photos! The earrings show up perfectly with your dark hair! You are smart to start building your pearl wardrobe now.

Pattye

Sweetfrock?s Freshadamas

Sweetfrock?s Freshadamas

Hi Sweetfrock,:)

the studs look very nice on You. As I told Boo before it is great that our member do show themselves to us. Well done!

Hi Sweetfrock,

You look really lovely!! The pearls were a great choice. Thanks for posting.

Maybe I will feel brave enough to post a photo when I buy something special. LOL I told my husband that I noticed on the GIA site that pearls are the jewelry gift for the thrid year anniversary and ours is in June. lol I think he just rolled his eyes at me, but the seed in planted and I have already pointed out some I love.

Jen

Thank you ladies, the pearls were chosen by Tara, so it's all thanks to her!

Salem I look forward to a picture of you wearing the black pearls! It would be such a treat to see them on you!

I'm looking forward to next month's special; I'm sure there will be something great for Mothers' Day. :)

Back